Re: TS to DVD (MPEG)

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
Thanks for the idiots guide on how to do this. I have yet to buy a dreambox, still considering it. Might go the DVB PC card route... not sure what to do.

Anyway how long would you estimate it takes to create a DVD from a TS file? Is it time consuming, or ok? Would it be just as easy to go and buy a standalone DVD recorder, what are the advantages of doing it the PC way?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
martinw01908 said:
Thanks for the idiots guide on how to do this. I have yet to buy a dreambox, still considering it. Might go the DVB PC card route... not sure what to do.

Anyway how long would you estimate it takes to create a DVD from a TS file? Is it time consuming, or ok? Would it be just as easy to go and buy a standalone DVD recorder, what are the advantages of doing it the PC way?
Hi Martin
If you got yourself a DVD recorder then you would feed RGB from decoded signal into recorder and the asics in the DVD recorder will do all the digitising and recompression back to mpg2 and make a DVD complaint disk.
Although this route has done mpeg -> expansion -> RGB -> digitisation -> mpeg, you will hardly note the difference. It is foolproof.
But if you like playing with toys, like I do, then you can transfer the files on dreambox hdd to PC or Mac. This can take an hour but you can leave it while you do somethign else. Then you convert .ts to .ps and maybe edit top and tail. Then author DVD, then burn. It sounds a lot but I will set things going, go to work and continue when I get back. So you can't count time really.
But I have 30+ movies on hdd and I will pick maybe one or two to burn to keep. The rest I keep to watch and then dump.
Essentially, the hdd, say 300GB, becomes a very useful and tidy store of movies to watch when you like. I no longer burn and keep movies I will never watch again.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
It does take a bit of time depends on processor speed - burner speed. The quality of the DreamBox recordings is excellent.

You could just transfer and watch the .ts files on your PC without conversion, that's faster.

In short it's not any slower that backing up a DVD.

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
OK, thats not too bad. I had thought all the conversion involved with D to A then A to D again using a standalone DVD recorder might lose quality.

Whie I have been off surfing I have found something even more exciting. There is talk of a new dreambox, the 7085 which has twin tuners and a DVD writer/player built in. It has more memory and a seperate PSU, supports up to 300GB HD! Even talk of it having different tuners eg 1 for DVB and the other for D Terrestrial.

Specs and pics here http://www.olmi.cz/

Talk here: http://www.austech.info/showthread.php?t=94627&page=2&pp=15

Anybody know when this is going to be available? Sound like a dream come true, pardon the pun.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
If you have a skystar 2 card then you can more or less record the TV to the hard drive and burn the captured file to DVD, no conversion nessisary in the most part. I dont have any problems with two cheap DVD players, its just my expensive sony one that is fussy. If you use ProgDVB then it doesnt seem to work properly on the Sony, meanwhile DVB Dream does.

Basically record the file, import it in to something like TMPGenc DVD Author if you want to make a menu system, or even VobEdit if you dont. Very quick, the quality is gonna be the same as the dreambox because they are both just recording the data direct from the satellite, so no loss in quality.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
martinw01908 said:
Anybody know when this is going to be available?

The specifications have been around for a few months now with release dates coming and going.

Your guess is as good as anyones.

Should have twin tuners(updated) and can handle six streams at once - by all accounts.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
martinw01908 said:
OK, thats not too bad. I had thought all the conversion involved with D to A then A to D again using a standalone DVD recorder might lose quality.

Sly analogue was converted A to D at uplink, sliced along the scan line, rotated, converted D to A, transmitted via sat to decoders which did an A to D, re-rotated and then did a final D to A again. If you use a DVD recorder, try not to use composite video which gives dot crawl effects at colour boundaries. Use RGB or atg least SVHS.