Re-using Sky boxes?

Polecat

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to this game so any help is very much appreciated,ta.
I was wondering if it is at all possible to use sky boxes for recieving other satellites as i've converted to ITV to gain some education as you might say which leaves me with a spare box. I realise that it may need some modifications,thats if it is possible to use it.Also could you give me some info as what to do and get and which would be the best.
Many thanx

A

asimov

Hi Polecat

Unfortunately the digibox is a very limited beast thanks to its designers.

The principal problem is that it has only two fixed symbol rates of 27500 and 22000. So with the correct size of dish you can get a few FTA channels on Astra 1 (19.2 E), Hot Bird (13 E) and at 28.2/28.5 E using the mini dish.

I have not seen any mods for the beast to make it more flexible but suspect that if there are any the details will not be released (generally) on the net.

asimov

Polecat

Reaction score
Hi asimov,
Thanks for your reply,just as i thought really.Not much use for anything then? Never mind,it was just a thought.
cheers all the same.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There's always the option of selling the Digibox on QXL or the like and putting the money towards a Free to Air digital receiver. You will then be able to receive quite a few free channels.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hold on a minute

The firmware at present does prevent ajustment outside the symbol rates you mention, and it also locks out the PCMCIA slot that is built into the back of the unit.

However there are innovative functions inside such as the fully functional EPG, additional modulator output and remote eye operation, as well as a modem.

Once Videoguard takes a new direction, the firmware should allow all options to be enabled (one hopes) and then it will become an expensive and unreliable CI receiver, maybe with DiSEqC control added.

Of course there is bound to be some college student with a lot of spare time on his hands that will create a Overflow type upgrade to allow many additional options that were not in the original criteria of the design (flash adjustment of the CI to allow multiple embedded solutions - ala I*****O, even virtual viewing card within the CI, PID adjustment, customising of the OSG, maybe even modem protocol to allow the user to fool the broadcaster that the unit is in another country

Best to stick it in the loft and blow the dust off it in two years time. This industry has never been so interesting from the innovation point of view.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I can see where you're coming from CH, but really can't see the point in putting an ageing slowly becoming obsolete box into storage when it has a value now. There are many relatively inexpensive receivers available now that will do exactly what is required and for not a vast sum more than the probable sale price of the Digibox.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Remember the slump two uyears ago with Irdeto embedded receivers ?

and about six months ago with the Viaccess embedded receivers

You are right that it is an expensive box that could better serve most people by selling off to the right customer - if the price is right

However I have a funny feeling that Videoguard embedded will become highly prized commodity (especially on first generation receivers)

And of course that built in modem also seems useful for the future

Additionally loft space may be an issue

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
by the way I love the motion uphill !

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-09-01 AT 10:25 AM (GMT)]LOL, yes it seemed the only graphic to sum up my life to-date. :D

Oh and I've just realised that i haven't added the credit that I normally have under my sig. Graphic courtesy www.gifs.net