reading a sky card

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
am I right to say you can read a sky card with an elvis anyone? I read a link somewhere that you need to have the correct baud rate??
any one know what that means??
ta!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it's only a data speed rating BRD, but I think it's more complex than that, you will need software capable of reading without destroying the data on the card. There is apparently a file available, but I don't know anyone who's tried it yet.

Rolf

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
ok, thanx rolf. I know it won`t get me anywhere if I do read the card but I`m just curious really.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The software is called NDX version1.1, released a few weeks ago. The v1.0 could only read Stream (Italian Videoguard) cards, but this version 1.1 can supposedly read Sky Digital cards too. I also haven't tried it yet.
You can download it at this site: http://www.nds.host.sk/

2old

G

groundsman

Forgive my ignorance here but what good does reading the card do?
It is not possible to write to it, is it?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well I would suppose that reading it is a start. :)

Rolf

M

MICKYFROMYORKS

>Well I would suppose that reading it is a start. :)
>
>Rolf

Ive tried the NDX software and it does appear to be very good, it is a crying shame you cant write to the card though. Other point is, it hasnt fryed my card neither.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The fact that it hasn't fried the card needs to be written in capital letters :) Might have to get a copy and try reading my card, don't really know what I can do with the info thereafter though.

Rolf

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
from little acorns.... somebody must be up to something with this software.
Thanks for the link 2old

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Apr-02 AT 09:36 AM (GMT)]Despite what many believe, if you put a Sky card that is registered to one box in another box, without registering it some (some of the FTV and some basic Sky package) channels work. The rest of course say “incorrect viewing card…”

If you managed to read a Sky card and write the contents to a blank one, would these "basic" channels work?

flyhalf47

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi there rolf just being reading on the forum about the NDXver 1.1 software .
Well here's the problem i have down loaded the software but can't get the com port to open i am using a standerd 9-way extension lead.
I noticed that you said that you have played with the software could you help me by giving me some information on how to get the com port open so that i don't get too frustrated trying to work it out.

Thanks Flyhalf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Try this little program Flyhalf, might solve the problem, it's a control centre for switching the Elvis on and off and changing modes and ports. http://www.adteknik.se/software/Elvis%20V%201.3%20W2K.zip

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Aanfield,do you mean the NDX or the small Elvis only utility I mention in the last post? I'm not sure in any event that the millenium will read a Sky card, haven't got one any more so cant check.

Rolf

Reaction score
Website
martin-osullivan.tripod.com
My Location
Ireland
Usually if you cant get the com port to open on a pc it is because the computer is using it for a modem or some other device is using it.

you can try
click start and run and type in msconfig
click ok
click the start-up tab in the top right hand corner and untick everything click ok and restart
then try accessing the port again

if this doesn't work mail me and I will c what else I can dig up for you.

martin-osullivan@lycos.com

I am asuming that you are using win 98 or higher. if not let me know and i wil tel you how to remove entries from reg.

what hardware are you using to read the card?

>Hi there rolf just being reading on the forum about the
>NDXver 1.1 software .
>Well here's the problem i have down loaded the software but
>can't get the com port to open i am using a standerd 9-way
>extension lead.
>I noticed that you said that you have played with the
>software could you help me by giving me some information on
>how to get the com port open so that i don't get too
>frustrated trying to work it out.
>
> Thanks Flyhalf

M

MICKYFROMYORKS

If you are using the Elvis programmer, you need the elvis control centre, I had the same problem and this cured it, let me know if its elvis & I will dig it out for you...

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I have experienced many problems with various PCs (especially laptops) which fail to connect to the programming device.
I stumbled upon a workaround though:
I discovered that by running the program Chipcat v2.3 first (one of the many programming utilities you can find on the sat sites), the port is somehow always kick-started into life. I just connect the programmer without any card inserted, run chipcat, kick off its pogram function, and let it fail (since there is no card inserted). Then I put my card in and run the utility I really wanted.
This is not necessary for all programmers (eg - the MasteraII and VX-Multi) but is for others (eg my VP2, VP20, PICPro3 and old phoenix).

Chipcat can be found (for example) at Duwgati's excellent site:
http://www.jali.nl/satelliet/satinfo/index.html
Direct link: http://www.satinfo.org/download/ChipCat/chipcat23.zip

Worth a try...??
2old

U

ukpopeye

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-May-02 AT 02:55 PM (GMT)]Hi Guys

I am having the same problem with the comm port.
Unable to open.

Any Ideas?

Rob

Sorry, added post before reading page two!...Damn newbies..:)