Real help needed re. activation of card

ldoyle

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member, and hoping someone can advise me on what, I'm sure to all of the other members, is a very easy problem (but I'm rubbish at all this stuff). Anyway, I have a panasonic digi box in my apartment in Spain, and until last August, was using one of the old Sky free cards for the basic bbc/itv and some extras; as you all know, the itv channels were removed, and I was recently advised by someone, that the only way that I could get the itv channels back, without subscription to sky, was to subscribe to nasn (which I have done), they have now sent me a sky card (which has got the nasn sports channels plus, most importantly, itv channels!), and a letter telling me to telephone them to activate the card. This is where my problem starts. I rang nasn last night, gave them the card number (I'm at home in uk at present), but then she asked me to insert the card into the digi receiver, so I quickly responded that I wasn't ringing from my home address, and would ring her another day. So my question/problem is, when I return to Spain the week after next for a holiday, I will be taking the card with me, and I will ring nasn from Spain, but acting as if I am at my UK home address, but what questions will she ask me when I place the card in the box? Is it a problem that it isn't a Pace Sky box, or is it simply a question of her asking me the serial numbers from my box so that she can activate the card so it can only be used in that box? I am really confused and don't want to get myself into trouble when I ring, so any SIMPLE LAY MAN'S ADVICE FOR A BLONDE BIMBO would be greatly appreciated.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
If you don't particularly want NASN then you can have the card activated in any m/c and it will work for ITV CH4 and CH5 in any other receiver. All you have to do is take the card back and forward with you when you go on holiday. You can even leave it in Spain or UK. If, however, you want NASN in Spain then you have to activate it from Spain or bring your spanish digybox to UK and have it activated there. The problem with trying to activate it from Spain is that the telephone system can alert the recipient of the call to the fact that it is coming from outside of UK. If NASN notice this then they will probably not activate the card and will not allow it to be activated. Good luck

ldoyle

Reaction score
Thank you for you reply. So you are saying that whilst I am here in the UK, I could ring nasn to activate the card, by having it inserted into my son's pace sky receiver, and it would then work in my panasonic receiver when I take it over to spain? If I am understanding you correctly, this would be my best option, because then I would be using my home telephone to make the activation call......I just need to be sure that it will then definitely work in Spain, I always thought that when the card was activated,it could only then be used in the receiver that it was activated in, because they apparently ask you certain details from the receiver, ie serial numbers etc......... but you are the knowledgeable people, if you can find the time to answer this, I would be most grateful.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Have you tried phoning from Spain using a mobile phone, in order to activate your viewing card ?

ldoyle

Reaction score
Hi Rob, that was my original intention, do you think that would be ok? I'm just confused now as to whether I can activate the card here in uk on my son's sky box and then whether it would work once I took it to Spain

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Any card once activated should work on any digibox for ITV1, Channel4 and Channel5, but not so sure about activating it on a currently tied digibox. Take the card back with you and if in doubt (although a call from a mobile with caller id switched off should be OK from anywhere), take all of the information from the system information page, write it down and E-mail it to your friend in the UK so that he can ring for you. Make sure that you leave the card in the box and the box switched on.

vertex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Activation of cards from outside the UK is certainly possible in my experience - just switch off caller id when you make the phone call.
4 questions are asked:
1. is the card inserted
2. confirmation of name and address
3. serial no. of box
4. card no.

You could of course get a friend in the uk to call with the above information, but not necessary.