realignment issues

christian

Reaction score
Hello Gurus

What do do all you people do for a living I never seen so much information.
You must be all retired lottery winners. Seriously its agreat help particularly
to chaps like me with little experience.

Two questions

I have recently lost my 1' West channels using a technomate 5500 ci with 1 metre dish. If I put it in say auto search on 13' east hotbird and move my dish
supposedly to roughly 1' west I am still picking up a good quality signal on the
hotbird transponders - why ? When I try to download it picks up the hotbird
stations again. Do the settings overide where the dish is pointing to. I hope this makes sense.

Secondly if I am an advanced search and change the Mhz say again in a
Hotbird config and press OK it scans Hispasat, Nilesat etc why ?

Please answer in simple terms until I can get used to the jargon.

I am using a Diseq 1.2 motor system rather than USALS. Can anybody
understand USALS ?

Chris

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
As far as your first question goes, no it doesn't make sense...:)

If your dish is pointing at 1W, you will not pick up any Hotbird transponders.
You might pick up some 1W transponders that just happen to be on the same frequency and polarisation though!

Point the dish at 1W, check the transponders details in the receiver, and scan the satellite.

Don't make things more complicated than they are!

Have a look here for a comlete list of what's where :- www.lyngsat.com

Start off with one satellite, punch in all the transponders from lyngsat and re-scan untill you get all the channels you want. Then move the dish and repeat the operation.

Nobody understands what USALS is.

Nah, I'm joking, have a look here :- http://www.gbsat.com/usals.htm

;)

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I have the Technomate 5500 and your message reminds me firstly of, when you move the dish on the reciever in USALS mode, does it actually move, because on mine it sometimes doesnt actually move, it says it does but it stays still. After pissing around for a few minutes it normally kicks in to action. This could be one reason that you are getting the wron satellites.

Next up if you are in the auto tuning mode, when you select the satellite at the top of the screen it should move to position if everything is set up correctly, next make sure that link search is on no, otherwise it'll start moving around trying to scan all the satellites that are enabled for the link search.

Hopefully this offers some help

Damien

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Nice!

My dish points where I flippin' well tell it to point!

:)

christian

Reaction score
damhy said:
I have the Technomate 5500 and your message reminds me firstly of, when you move the dish on the reciever in UCAS mode, does it actually move, because on mine it sometimes doesnt actually move, it says it does but it stays still. After pissing around for a few minutes it normally kicks in to action. This could be one reason that you are getting the wron satellites.

Next up if you are in the auto tuning mode, when you select the satellite at the top of the screen it should move to position if everything is set up correctly, next make sure that link search is on no, otherwise it'll start moving around trying to scan all the satellites that are enabled for the link search.

Hopefully this offers some help

Damien
Thanks Damien

I think from the comments I have seen the motor is not functioning properly.
Certainly the only way I can get the dish to move in a Diseq mode, is via the
channels. When I change sats in Auto Search it doesnt move, presumably
it would say on the screen as it does when you OK a channel change from one sat to another !! Its probably because I am set up in Diseq mode rather
than UCAS

Incidently have you used USALS to set up your coords.

Do you happen to know how may nudges = 1' on the technomate ?

Chris

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Usals is pretty straightforward, you enter your coordinates in the requred menu and the receiver and motor do the rest, providing that is, that your motor is USALS compatible and you have aligned the dish correctly.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I agree USALS is so much easier, if you dont know your position then go to http://www.multimap.co.uk/ and put in your postcode, it'll give you the coordinates underneath the map in the map information box lat/lon.

I dont know how you got your dish aligned but this is how i did it.

Chose a satellite close to due south, say Thor 2/3 or Sirius 1/2, then set the receiver to that satellite so the motor moves a bit and lets you know that it thinks it's in the right position, which it will be if your coordinates are correct, then adjust the motor position outside with a spanner, not on the receiver, and not the dish on the motor either; you want to move the whole dish and motor assembly round until it aligns with the correct satellite. Providing USALS is set right, and you found the correct sat, then it should now be aligned with everything.

Well thats how I did mine anyway. Diseqc from what I can tell is a bit more hit and miss, which is why i never used it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Damhy, it's USALS, Universal Satellite Locating System. :)

UCAS is to do with decryption.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Well at least you know what I mean, everthing technical has so many Acronyms I end up getting them all mixed up. I did a course on mobile and ubiquitous computing, and I almost gave up with sheer volume I was expected to know.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I know what you mean, many years ago I had to do a course on Life assurance and Endowment policies and after a day I had acronyms buzzing around my head like gnats. :)