My Location
canaries
hi jacko. have you pinpointed where the transmitter is? rob43

jacko

Reaction score
hi rob 43,
tryed to pick up the signal with my dish,changed lnb
setting to 16000mhz,don¨t know if this made any
difference,but couldn¨t pick up anything.
the dish is situated in escalona nr villaflor,but
i don¨t know if it is then relayed somewhere else,
as all these logorithmic aerials in my area,adeje,
are pointing out to sea.my mates aerial you can
turn 45 degrees any direction and you loose the
signal.turn it 90 degrees any direction and full
strength signal.also last week they fitted an
amplifier to my mates system because in this
area their having problems with the signal
hope this helps.

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi jacko. when you say out to sea, is it in the direction of la gomera or el hierro? it could be that a relay is situated lower down in las americas. i passed csti yesterday and the aerial they have on their building is different to the one they supply. in an earlier post by chrislloret he mentions a dish with a small log aerial on it. had i not just binned a small via dish i might have tried attaching the log aerial i´d bought. rob43

jacko

Reaction score
hi rob 43,
from where i am the aerial is pointing directly at the petrol station
in puerto colon,but the transmitter could be further on in the distance ,
at guaza/las galletas area.

radioscanner

Reaction score
Best thing you guys could do is call the sat company as a potential client, and ask them to explain how it works.

You never know.

John.

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
@radioscanner
VERY good idea, sometimes the easy thing is the right one
@rob43
it probably works, the dish however would point DOWN, because the signal should come horizontal and not from the skys above you :-)

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi guys. just heard one of the installers here in tenerife was raided by the police yesterday. i´m not sure if the re-transmissions have been shut down yet though, it appears they were after dodgy s** cards. will keep you posted. rob43

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
the word is that one sat installer in las americas, who is not involved in the re-transmission denounced the ones who were. i can see repercussions here. rob43

Carlos

Reaction score
rob43 said:
hi radioscanner. i´m in tenerife and they flog something similar here. its a strong 4155 fta receiver & a logarithmic antenna, have a look here. http://fp.amsat.plus.com/TVA5.htm
i am going to try and attach one to my nextwave 2500 thru a spare socket on my diseqc switch, i don´t know if it will work but i´ll have a go anyway. you could also have a look on www.tecatel.com as they do a similar antenna. i´ll let you know how i get on. rob43

I think you will find that your pici is of a LP45HV antenna made by FR of Italy. According to the data sheet it is a band 4 & 5 antenna which covers the frequency range 470 - 900 MHz.

I shall watch this thread with interest, Carlos

Carlos

Reaction score
jacko said:
hi rob 43,.
also living in tenerife.got a technomate dapci 5500 ,and trying to set up the same
system without paying the 600 euros.my mate has got the system installed,
strong box 4155.got into his system set-up,says frequency 15633mhz vertical,
s/r16000. i have been in touch with a couple of uk aerial suppliers and they say this
frequency is far too high,but i have rechecked and thats what it says.
have been trying to find an aerial and was recomended a blake dmx 10wb digimaster,but now i will order one from the link you gave me.thanks.i got the pids
if you need them.
my mate has one similar to your photo 28 elements in a vertical position.

It may sound like like a bum question but could the system ignore the decimal place? In other words is the frequency 1,563.3 MHz which is 1.563 GHZ is it not? If this is so it would then be consistent with the commonly accepted microwave frequency range of 1 - 2 GHZ, only a thought.

Sorry, it was a bum question, I think the frequency really is as stated namely: 15,633 MHz with no changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the replies coming, Carlos

Carlos

Reaction score
radioscanner said:
Hi Rob43 & Jacko,

Very interesting stuff!

Since my last post I have found out that in my area "Costa Blanca" they are using a 65 cm dish and a little log periodic antenna at the focal point of the dish, its tuned to the IF frequency i.e. around 1.5 ghz then its fed into an "analog" satellite receiver.

Also there could be a pre-amp in the line between the antenna and the receiver,
I havnt actually seen this installation, but the info came from a good source.

There could be a similar "digital" system used here to the one you mentioned, but I havnt yet heard of it.
Did you notice if there was any pre-amp installed near the antenna at your friends house?.
If so then you need to keep that in mind when ordering & setting up your own intallation.

Hope to hear from you.

John.

Hi John,

Any chance of digital pici of the antenna/dish arrangement as discussed above and any idea of the overall gain?

Carlos

jacko

Reaction score
hi carlos,
don¨t know about a pre-amp.but my mate
definately had an in-line 50 volt blocker.
the aerial that you mentioned lp 45 hv
made by fr italy is the same one my
mate has(has FR stamped on it).any
idea where i could buy one of these
from.thanks
ps just programmed 12441v 27500
into my mates box to watch bbc
tranmissions of euro 2004.

Carlos

Reaction score
jacko said:
hi carlos,
don¨t know about a pre-amp.but my mate
definately had an in-line 50 volt blocker.
the aerial that you mentioned lp 45 hv
made by fr italy is the same one my
mate has(has FR stamped on it).any
idea where i could buy one of these
from.thanks
ps just programmed 12441v 27500
into my mates box to watch bbc
tranmissions of euro 2004.

Hi Jacko

Did you succeed with your quest?

Don't know where you can get an FR antenna but can you or someone else please explain how an antenna for 470 - 900 MHz would pick up a transmission at 15,441 MHz or whatever and why use a wideband antenna?

I'm really interested in this one as it seems to me that, at the frequency stated, it would be better to use an actual micowave antenna, or even a dish if the signal's weak though I don't know about the LN:cool:.

Carlos

davecabezo

Reaction score
Hi mates, I live in Tenerife and the German chap who was transmitting BBC1&2, ITV, Sky movies1, Arte sport 1&2 has now been arrested and the system closed down. He also charged 590Eu to install and 60Eu a year. The box was also a Strong FTA.
A lot of Brits in Tenerife are understandably very upset!

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
davecabezo said:
Hi mates, I live in Tenerife and the German chap who was transmitting BBC1&2, ITV, Sky movies1, Arte sport 1&2 has now been arrested and the system closed down. He also charged 590Eu to install and 60Eu a year. The box was also a Strong FTA.
A lot of Brits in Tenerife are understandably very upset!
hi davecabezo. the system is up and running again, but for the moment only in the san miguel area and with less channels. rumour is it might be in las americas by next week. rob43

Carlos

Reaction score
chrislloret said:
Hi all, the system you are refering to is a microwave antenna that will feed the signal in the 1.5Ghz range into an analog sat reciever. This is being used all over spain and in large parts of Africa. Its basically a directional link to a sending antenna that allows to send a "package" off up to 20channels. You will need the Antenna (about 80-140euros,depending on the distance you need,up to about 60km) a analog reciever 950-1750 Input,you see,there is no LNB conversion needed and of course the know how to install it vertical or horizontal, I mean the antenna, not the settings on the box,they do not matter. I must say however, 600euros seems quite a lot, except if you also get some sky movies or sport. The system CAN be incrypted,but normally is not. If it is, you have to find out what they use, normally the old favorites D2Mac or Luxcrypt, I doubt they got a videocrypt system.
Good luck and
sunny greatings
C

I am a bit confused, on the one hand we seem to be talking about frequencies in the range 1.0 to 2.4 GHz (say 1.5 GHz mid-range) and on the othe hand 12 to 15,000 MHZ which is 12 to 15 GHZ is it not and, as I understand it, the antennas used are quite different for these two different frequency ranges. Can a technical guru please explain these statements and advise the antenna implications. Also could a dish and LNB be used at the high frequencies as they broadly compare with the 10.7 GHz Sky frequencies?

My interest is that I am on the edge of reception and need to get more antenna gain but don't know the best way foreward. The local installer says an amplifier is not the answer because the actual signal is too weak.

Any ideas

Carlos

jacko

Reaction score
hi everybody.
before the transmissions were turned off ,the signal in my area
was quite strong.i tried with a 1 metre dish,also in upside down position,
tried the known transponder frequencies,adjusted lnb settings.done a scan on analogue and digital.nothing.i have been told by somebody that works for
one of the suppliers that before the strong FTA box is given to the customer
the box is connected to a computer and modified.i take it it is patched or flashed.
but maybe if you have a dragon cam or matrix,then this might unscramble the signal.
i¨m in the process of ordering my logorithmic aerial,to see first if i can pick up the signal,when it gets to my area again.

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
jacko said:
hi everybody.
before the transmissions were turned off ,the signal in my area
was quite strong.i tried with a 1 metre dish,also in upside down position,
tried the known transponder frequencies,adjusted lnb settings.done a scan on analogue and digital.nothing.i have been told by somebody that works for
one of the suppliers that before the strong FTA box is given to the customer
the box is connected to a computer and modified.i take it it is patched or flashed.
but maybe if you have a dragon cam or matrix,then this might unscramble the signal.
i¨m in the process of ordering my logorithmic aerial,to see first if i can pick up the signal,when it gets to my area again.
The Strong FTA boxes are plugged into the PC via the serial port and new firmware is loaded into them. I managed to get hold of a box for a day & got the software, I uploaded the firmware to my PC. The chap who done this is very cleaver because everything looked as though nothing had been changed or added, I looked further and he has hidden all the new frequency’s and Pids for his transmitions under a original satellite that was pre programmed into the box by the manufacturer. Im just waiting for it to be switched back on up north and I will see if I can receive it. You don’t need a strong decoder, any FTA will do the reason they’re using the strong is because its easer to re-program. I will let you know how I get on

Steve

Carlos

Reaction score
nokevin said:
The Strong FTA boxes are plugged into the PC via the serial port and new firmware is loaded into them. I managed to get hold of a box for a day & got the software, I uploaded the firmware to my PC. The chap who done this is very cleaver because everything looked as though nothing had been changed or added, I looked further and he has hidden all the new frequency’s and Pids for his transmitions under a original satellite that was pre programmed into the box by the manufacturer. Im just waiting for it to be switched back on up north and I will see if I can receive it. You don’t need a strong decoder, any FTA will do the reason they’re using the strong is because its easer to re-program. I will let you know how I get on

Steve

Hi Steve

Very informative, please let us know how you go on.

Can you also look at the software to see how the reception frequencies have been modified to enable reception directly from a terrestial antenna without an LNB. The latter, as I understand it, converts the transmission frequencies to approx 1.2 GHz (to reduce cable losses) so the box expects the signal to be at the lower frequencies. It may be that this is a clever trick to prevent reception even if the transmission frequencies are known.

Finally, if you will excuse my ignorance, what is "PID" and what is needed to upload the software & fimaware onto a PC?

Thanks, Carlos