rebroadcasting of BBC signals etc

radioscanner

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Does anyone have information about the re-transmisions of BBC, ITV etc,? how exactly is it done?
what frequencies are used?
is it an analog or digital transmision?
what type of antenna and receiver is used?
are these companies using any encyption to stop anyone from just going out and buying the equipment and receiving everything without paying them the subscription fee.?
I have heard some companies on the costa blanca etc are charging 600 euros for the receiver and a monthly subscription!! hhmmm.

John

p.s. Merry Christmas and a happy new year! :p

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Rebroadcast of a channel can be simple links to the other TVs in the house/hotel by cable or through wireless 2.4GHz transmission from source to a remote TV, rebroadcast from a single point to a small community by terrestrial transmitters, all the way up to retransmission via satellite to a remote location.

I believe you are looking at the community idea, but you would have to be more specific in your needs, and whats around you .

radioscanner

Reaction score
Hello Channel Hopper,

I live on the Costa Blanca and I know several companies here are re-broadcasting BBC/ITV etc so I was wondering exactly how it was done, I know they are able to cover a very large area ie 10 miles square, I was hoping to find out what type of receiver I would need to receive this without going and paying them the massive 600 euros + monthly subscription! if the signal is there then surely I would just need the receiver, I beleive the system works using the existing terestrial antenna so the frequency must be somewhere in the range of terestrial TV?
do you think the box could just be a digital terestrial receiver?

Thanks
John.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
For 600 eusros a month, Ill put you up in my house and give you your own feed off the motorised system.

Try looking for frequencies on Spain that are not used for domestic broadcast - usually its a down shift into some obscure band (III) and then an uplink using a crystal converter.

Alternatively book a few nights in a decent hotel, full room service and mini bar would still cost less.

radioscanner

Reaction score
I mean a one time 600 euros for the reciever and then a monthly subscription fee
(not 600 per month.)

Anyway if you find any more info on this subject please let me know.

John.

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
radioscanner said:
I mean a one time 600 euros for the reciever and then a monthly subscription fee
(not 600 per month.)

Anyway if you find any more info on this subject please let me know.

John.

hi radioscanner. i´m in tenerife and they flog something similar here. its a strong 4155 fta receiver & a logarithmic antenna, have a look here. http://fp.amsat.plus.com/TVA5.htm
i am going to try and attach one to my nextwave 2500 thru a spare socket on my diseqc switch, i don´t know if it will work but i´ll have a go anyway. you could also have a look on www.tecatel.com as they do a similar antenna. i´ll let you know how i get on. rob43

jacko

Reaction score
hi rob 43,.
also living in tenerife.got a technomate dapci 5500 ,and trying to set up the same
system without paying the 600 euros.my mate has got the system installed,
strong box 4155.got into his system set-up,says frequency 15633mhz vertical,
s/r16000. i have been in touch with a couple of uk aerial suppliers and they say this
frequency is far too high,but i have rechecked and thats what it says.
have been trying to find an aerial and was recomended a blake dmx 10wb digimaster,but now i will order one from the link you gave me.thanks.i got the pids
if you need them.
my mate has one similar to your photo 28 elements in a vertical position.

radioscanner

Reaction score
Hi Rob43 & Jacko,

Very interesting stuff!

Since my last post I have found out that in my area "Costa Blanca" they are using a 65 cm dish and a little log periodic antenna at the focal point of the dish, its tuned to the IF frequency i.e. around 1.5 ghz then its fed into an "analog" satellite receiver.

Also there could be a pre-amp in the line between the antenna and the receiver,
I havnt actually seen this installation, but the info came from a good source.

There could be a similar "digital" system used here to the one you mentioned, but I havnt yet heard of it.
Did you notice if there was any pre-amp installed near the antenna at your friends house?.
If so then you need to keep that in mind when ordering & setting up your own intallation.

Hope to hear from you.

John.

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi jacko & john. i bought an aerial very similar locally and i "borrowed" a strong 4155 box (already setup) from a friend. i tried everything but no luck in picking up the signal. it must have been the aerial i bought, a "digilog" i should have had the patience to wait for the correct one!!! there is nothing connected between the aerial and the box, i´ve seen two setups now and its just the cable straight into the receiver. i noticed this week the aerials have changed from horizontal to vertical. if you could p.m. me the pids jacko i could try them with the nextwave. rob

jacko

Reaction score
hi rob 43,
waiting for my mate to get back to me with the pids.in the meantime you can get into
your mates box set-up system with one of these pin numbers;
1004,1234,1111,4100,0235 and0325.
also just before the aerial cable goes into the box there is a small in-line 50 volt blocker
so the technician told my mate,hope this helps.

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
jacko said:
hi rob 43,
waiting for my mate to get back to me with the pids.in the meantime you can get into
your mates box set-up system with one of these pin numbers;
1004,1234,1111,4100,0235 and0325.
also just before the aerial cable goes into the box there is a small in-line 50 volt blocker
so the technician told my mate,hope this helps.

hi jacko. i only had the box for a few hrs to try my aerial. i tried again with the freq you gave and still nothing. i have the aerial cable onto a diseqc switch, so i´ll try a direct connection to my own box. i don´t know what a 50 volt blocker is or looks like, but there was definitly nothing on the 2 i saw
rob43

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
Hi all, the system you are refering to is a microwave antenna that will feed the signal in the 1.5Ghz range into an analog sat reciever. This is being used all over spain and in large parts of Africa. Its basically a directional link to a sending antenna that allows to send a "package" off up to 20channels. You will need the Antenna (about 80-140euros,depending on the distance you need,up to about 60km) a analog reciever 950-1750 Input,you see,there is no LNB conversion needed and of course the know how to install it vertical or horizontal, I mean the antenna, not the settings on the box,they do not matter. I must say however, 600euros seems quite a lot, except if you also get some sky movies or sport. The system CAN be incrypted,but normally is not. If it is, you have to find out what they use, normally the old favorites D2Mac or Luxcrypt, I doubt they got a videocrypt system.
Good luck and
sunny greatings
C

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
chrislloret said:
Hi all, the system you are refering to is a microwave antenna that will feed the signal in the 1.5Ghz range into an analog sat reciever. This is being used all over spain and in large parts of Africa. Its basically a directional link to a sending antenna that allows to send a "package" off up to 20channels. You will need the Antenna (about 80-140euros,depending on the distance you need,up to about 60km) a analog reciever 950-1750 Input,you see,there is no LNB conversion needed and of course the know how to install it vertical or horizontal, I mean the antenna, not the settings on the box,they do not matter. I must say however, 600euros seems quite a lot, except if you also get some sky movies or sport. The system CAN be incrypted,but normally is not. If it is, you have to find out what they use, normally the old favorites D2Mac or Luxcrypt, I doubt they got a videocrypt system.
Good luck and
sunny greatings
C
hi chrislloret. its a strong 4155 digital sat reciever they use in tenerife. and 80-140 euros seems a bit pricey to me. have a look on www.tecatel.com and you´ll see what i mean. rob43

jacko

Reaction score
rob 43.
here are the pids from my mates box:
bbc 1 ,1056-1057-1056
bbc 2 1072-1073-1072
itv 1088-1089-1088
movie ch 1104-1105-1104
freq. 15628+15633,s/r16000
15618 s/r16000.
going to buy an aerial soon,but now undecided which one to go for.
hope you get some results with your set-up.

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
@rob, I know tecatel, but where do they have Microwave Antennas? They look a bit like WLAN Antennas except those are a bit smaller. If you do not live very close to the surce, it will be quite expensive.
If as you say they use digital, then its quite sophisticated, the "playoutcenter" is quite pricey and chances are good that they encrypt. Then your pids will do nothing. I seriously doubt that they charge 600euros plus a monthly charge if with a bit of know how you could just catch the signal.BUT, that said, I wish you good luck, just do´nt invest in equipment you can´t use later, that´s a real bummer. Btw, for less money you get a complete sky system (without bbc and itv in Teneriffe, except if you like a 3.80-4.2m Dish in your garden)

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
cheers jacko. i´ll go give them a try. rob

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
chrislloret said:
@rob, I know tecatel, but where do they have Microwave Antennas? They look a bit like WLAN Antennas except those are a bit smaller. If you do not live very close to the surce, it will be quite expensive.
If as you say they use digital, then its quite sophisticated, the "playoutcenter" is quite pricey and chances are good that they encrypt. Then your pids will do nothing. I seriously doubt that they charge 600euros plus a monthly charge if with a bit of know how you could just catch the signal.BUT, that said, I wish you good luck, just do´nt invest in equipment you can´t use later, that´s a real bummer. Btw, for less money you get a complete sky system (without bbc and itv in Teneriffe, except if you like a 3.80-4.2m Dish in your garden)
hi chris, i have no idea if they are microwave aerials, i´m just going by what i´ve seen installed. http://fp.amsat.plus.com/tva5.htm this is it. tecatel do something similar. i´m just trying to see if my box will pick it up, if it does´nt it wont bother me as i already have plenty channels to watch. the digilog aerial i bought was only 20 odd euros. btw the charges are 590 euros installed and an annual fee of 60, which is not to bad if it lasts for yrs. its a lot cheaper than a 3m dish. thanks rob

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
jacko said:
rob 43.
here are the pids from my mates box:
bbc 1 ,1056-1057-1056
bbc 2 1072-1073-1072
itv 1088-1089-1088
movie ch 1104-1105-1104
freq. 15628+15633,s/r16000
15618 s/r16000.
going to buy an aerial soon,but now undecided which one to go for.
hope you get some results with your set-up.
hi jacko. i tried the above but no luck. whether its the aerial i have or my box is´nt able to recieve that type of signal i´m not sure. but i hope you have better luck. i´m not farting around with it any more, hmm what next tit card? dragon cam?????????? good luck rob

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
Hi, if you look at the tech spec of the strong 4155 & the tech spec of the sky digibox its the same so there must be away of contecting a microwave antenna to the digibox via a switch to get the re-transmited channels

jacko

Reaction score
hi everybody,
do you think i¨ve got any chance of picking this signal up
on a spare i metre dish that i have.
i¨m living on the mountain side and i can point the dish
downwards to where the signal is being broadcast from,
no obtsructions in the way.
going to give it a go tomorrow so will let you know.