Receive satellite on your motorbike exhaust pipe

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Now being offered for sale by DigiCams sounds pricey and not too much performance information, but a pretty novel idea and may be suitable where standard dishes are not an option :)

PS. I know it isn't really an old exhaust pipe. ;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
These have been around for years (known as the stick)

They work, but not well enough to be a threat to satellite dishes, and if I remember correctly they were not full band 10.7-12.75

Very much like the Mawzone antenna

http://www.setileague.org/articles/fresnel2.htm

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I guessed that they would be limited in performance, this one looks like it has a standard universal LNB attached. I assume that it is aimed like a gun at the satellite and is not an array based along the length of the pipe.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I agree Channel Hopper the reception properties of the wave guide of the unit has very limited application for general wide band application use for satellite reception.

Who knows who will buy it though thinking that it must be bettter since it costs more etc type of thinking.

Regards

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Those that looked at the first designs were those that were not allowed a dish for conservation reasons

I prefered the interference design in theory as it has an unlimited size if you have the right land. problems were associated in the correct materials as well as (again) frequency non linearity

There are other weird and wonderful ideas out there, but as yet the good old double wok still outperforms everything (the horn type though comes very close)