Receiver Question

bluegrass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newie
My Location
London
Hi,
I am new to satallite receivers and hopefully i'm in the right section of the forum.

I've bought an Echostar DSB-890 2Ci to receive free to air channels from the Middle East and America and perhaps some Adult Channels.
The installer(new to business) says that this is a poor brand and cannot be "opened" too often.He suggests something called Bluestar OpenBox.

Is he right and who manufactures this Bluestar?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-welcome to the forum bluegrass
Well you have stated your requirements quite clearly, I am not sure what you are expecting to receive from America but the installers suggestion will not allow you to view anything extra from America. The only thing I can think he is referring to is the receiver he mentions is a clone and may therefore probably be easier to obtain a patch to open up encryted channels. As you have already bought the receiver just live with it for now and get a feel for the hobby and what is available FTA. If you did want to open up more channels you could use the CI slot and fit a good quality cam like a Dragon.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Welcome to our happy band.

Your installer is talking crap. Most Echostars are eccellent bits of kit. Although they cannot be "patched" (unofficial software loaded onto them) the ci models can have cams shoved into them. The dragon cam mentioned by my moderator colleague topper will open almost all of the currently compromised channels.

you cannot watch American channels in Europe - well not the sort of stuff I suspect you want (NBC / ABC etc) There are some Yankee channels, but unless you speak Farsi, or have an overriding desire to watch tedious religious drivel you wont be thrilled by them.

bluegrass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newie
My Location
London
Thanks Guys.I'll stick with the box for now untill i'm more experianced.