Receiver through internet?

benjamimedy

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
40
My Satellite Setup
1.2 meter dish humax fozsat freesat box
My Location
Portugal
Hello does anyone know of a box that could receive uk freeview (and possibly sky) channels soley through internet (either wired or wireless ) and not from a sattelite feed?

Setting up a sattelite is not a option and only internet will do I am afraid!! I suppose I am looking forsome kind of wireless digital streamer.

thanks

Benjamin
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 26, 2003
Messages
49,080
Reaction score
9,813
Points
113
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have a look at filmon.com to begin with. (Its free atm but will probably charge sooner or later)

AFAIK there are no internet receiver solutions for the BBC PSB channels - yet - its probably only a matter of time now
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Joined
May 1, 1999
Messages
38,089
Reaction score
1,456
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well if you have relatives or Friends in the UK with decent internet connections, you can use a Slingbox, or Hauppauge Broadway to stream Freeview and any satellite or cable box attached to the unit.
 

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
17,498
Reaction score
3,602
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you have relatives or friends in the UK with a reasonably fast Internet connection (for upload) and unlimited data then the can host a Slingbox for you. This is available with a built-in Freeview tuner (a Slingbox HD Pro - I have one) and you can use a laptop or Boxee Box or Sling Catcher anywhere in the world to view whatever the Slingbox can tune into.

You can also connect the Slingbox to a $ly receiver and it can control that as well. The quality of the video is effectively limited by the upload speed as download speed is unlikely to be aproblem. 1Mbps is a reasonable minimum for a watchable picture but the higher the better. Running the Slingbox on my home network at about 8 Mbps gave a picture virtually indistinguishable from direct. The Slingbox does not have a Freeview HD tuner itself but will will accept an HD picture but only from a component source. I have not tried this out.

I have only used it from the UK to France at 1Mbps and it was a watchable picture although there was some sound lag from time to time.
 

benjamimedy

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
40
My Satellite Setup
1.2 meter dish humax fozsat freesat box
My Location
Portugal
Thanks for the helpful replies, would not this offer the same features mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=476764 It seems to offer similar channels as having a freeview/ freesat box as you can flick through channels using the internet connection as opposed to satellite feed.
 

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
17,498
Reaction score
3,602
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
That's a media player which you connect to your TV set. It doesn't have a tuner and relies upon the content you want to watch being on the Internet somewhere.

It says that it will stream the BBC iPlayer but this is geolocked to the UK and, unless you are prepared tp pay for IP anonymising or a proxy in the UK, will not work overseas. Even if you get past this problem then there is nothing about the ITV palyer, 4OD or Demand 5. And those are all catch-up services anyway (except for the iPlayer in certain circumstances).

Having said that there is a lot of content out there on the Internet, some free and some that you have to pay for.
 

Juan69

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
321
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Age
73
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
benjamimedy said:
Hello does anyone know of a box that could receive uk freeview (and possibly sky) channels soley through internet (either wired or wireless ) and not from a sattelite feed?

Setting up a sattelite is not a option and only internet will do I am afraid!! I suppose I am looking forsome kind of wireless digital streamer.

thanks

Benjamin
I have been considering this _www.dtmedia.tv but with 1 MB broadband I can not use it. Might be worth considering by others.
 

Lazarus

Tout Rond Bon Oeuf
Staff member
Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
26,401
Reaction score
8,148
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Mod Note:^^^^^^^^^^^ Please don't Post Live Links - I've already disabled this one for you and again in some of your other Posts. See Forum Rules
 

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
17,498
Reaction score
3,602
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Juan69 said:
I have been considering this _www.dtmedia.tv but with 1 MB broadband I can not use it. Might be worth considering by others.
I couldn't find anywhere on their site how much this service costs but, judging by how much they want for the dT Media BOX (149,99€), it won't be cheap. I was also unable to find any technical specs to find out what bandwidth you get for your money.
 

davidcmadrid

Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
218
Reaction score
48
Points
28
Age
44
My Satellite Setup
40cm offset 19e, 1.5m 28e 1.2 M motor vu+
My Location
Madrid Spain
Internet TV reception is a little tricky to set up, technicalities aside it comes down to what you are prepared to pay per month , think 5 to 10 pounds per month,, its possible to do it " cheaper " but you may have to fiddle with the settings every so often.
 

Juan69

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
321
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Age
73
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
PaulR said:
I couldn't find anywhere on their site how much this service costs but, judging by how much they want for the dT Media BOX (149,99€), it won't be cheap. I was also unable to find any technical specs to find out what bandwidth you get for your money.
No need for a box for their service. Unlike other VPN services it can be independently used with a smart TV because they stream direct from their webpage. Around 9 pounds per month. There are others of course. I have been subscribing to one other for years. I can not post live link here but a search for Adtelly should get you there. They charge just under six pounds per month and I am very happy with it. They have various methods of connecting and it is a breeze to install. Two of their apps are like portals to UK TV.
 

Lazarus

Tout Rond Bon Oeuf
Staff member
Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
26,401
Reaction score
8,148
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, you can't Post Live Links, but you can Post Links that are disabled .........................
 

Jumpstart

Regular Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
444
Reaction score
76
Points
28
Age
44
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
benjamimedy said:
Have a look at filmon.com to begin with. (Its free atm but will probably charge sooner or later)

AFAIK there are no internet receiver solutions for the BBC PSB channels - yet - its probably only a matter of time now
That's a brilliant link. Thanks! :D
 

davemurgtroyd

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
1,309
Reaction score
707
Points
113
Age
72
Location
Oxford
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Juan69 said:
No need for a box for their service. Unlike other VPN services it can be independently used with a smart TV because they stream direct from their webpage. Around 9 pounds per month. There are others of course. I have been subscribing to one other for years. I can not post live link here but a search for Adtelly should get you there. They charge just under six pounds per month and I am very happy with it. They have various methods of connecting and it is a breeze to install. Two of their apps are like portals to UK TV.
Almost certainly yet another illegal streaming service - the channels are not going to give permission for their channels to be streamed outside the UK - the channels have not paid for the rights to provide their programming outside the UK.
 

DishDick

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
772
Reaction score
27
Points
28
My Satellite Setup
.
My Location
Gran Canaria
Who cares, people will use whatever method delivers the TV they want.
 

Juan69

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
321
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Age
73
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Analoguesat said:
Have a look at filmon.com to begin with. (Its free atm but will probably charge sooner or later)

AFAIK there are no internet receiver solutions for the BBC PSB channels - yet - its probably only a matter of time now
What a good tip !!! Thank you Analoguesat.
 
Top