receiver with easy subtitles on/off?

robert£

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
About to install new system at new house. need 4 sats, two receivers, good stereo sound output (radio) and subtiutoes for deaf.
My Location
Cambridge
Please can someone advise me? I am looking for a digital satellite receiver that will give subtitles (for someone who is deaf) but where these can be simply switched on and off from the remote control without havign to go through the setup menu.

I don't need features like recording or a CAM slot, although I don't mind having them and would probably use them if I did. I'm looking to spend up to about £150.

thank you,

Robert (Cambridge)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum robert£

Now that is not an easy question for the simple reason that unless we already use those services then we will not know straight away without trying which can be controlled from the remote with a one button push. I am sure someone will report their findings though

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
robert£ said:
Please can someone advise me? I am looking for a digital satellite receiver that will give subtitles (for someone who is deaf) but where these can be simply switched on and off from the remote control without havign to go through the setup menu.

I don't need features like recording or a CAM slot, although I don't mind having them and would probably use them if I did. I'm looking to spend up to about £150.

thank you,

Robert (Cambridge)

Hi Robert,
I did a search on this subject few months ago, but only for Hot Bird 13E.
You didn't mention which language you would like to see, but if it is English then there is none on Hot Bird 13E (BBC Prime used to have it, but they moved to another satellite)
I have several receivers and they all have this feature for subtitle on/off. So if you read the specification of the intended receiver to buy, look for subtitle support.
You only need to set it up once in the setup menu.
Some channels have subtitle activated from a certain Teletext page.
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox-general/146629-channels-subtitles.html
Bottom line: You need to know which channels send subtitles, as not all channels do this because it adds to the channel bandwidth usage.
Hope this helps, if not ask again with more specific questions.

robert£

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
About to install new system at new house. need 4 sats, two receivers, good stereo sound output (radio) and subtiutoes for deaf.
My Location
Cambridge
thank for your comments people. I'll read through the other thread that was mentioned. What I am looking for is the ability to display english subtitles to english programmes ("subtitles for the hard of hearing") where they exist and to toggle them on and off without too much menu hopping.

A little backgound on me, as I am new here: I live in Cambridge and am moving house. Currently we use hotbird for TVRi (Romanian wife) and Astra for UK standard TV using a maplin cheap setup with no subtitles. In the new house we are installing from scratch and will go for a better system, probably 4 LNBs on one dish . Part of the reason is to get better radio quality as DAB is so poor and FM is to be switched off in a few years. I'd also like to get Norwegian radio and Bayern4Klassic for the music. I plan to run two (perhaps four later) separate receivers so expect to use LNBs with multiple outlets.

the technomate 3150 seems to be a possability, or the 3500 which has a "card reader". I don't see a need for anything except FTA channels but maybe a card rader would be sensible just in case.

Robert

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
robert£ said:
<snip> .......... a maplin cheap setup with no subtitles.

Are you absolutely sure that that Receiver doesn't have access to Subtitles?

If it meets the DVB S spec. (which it is will), then surely the feature is there somewhere?

What exact Receiver model is it?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I doubt if you will find many FTA channels with English subtitles, except perhaps on Astra 28E, but as I can't receive this satellite in my location, I will leave it to other members to report on this point.
There is also the possibility that some channels might send an English subtitle, but it is not switchable. See the Polish channel image in the other thread.

May I suggest that you would decide on the satellites that you intend to point to, as it can make it easier for other members to give you any helpful information, instead of talking in general terms.
I am only guessing, but I suppose that you would have:
- Hot Bird 13E
- Astra 28E
- Astra 19.2E ?
- ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Of course another reason why people may not have the information at their fingertips is that you would have to have a subscription to receive the channels you want to have subtitles on where subtitles are available

robert£

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cambridge
The receiver I have at present is Fortec Star Beta. I don't think they make it any more.

thank you for help everyone. It has been very useful.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
robert£ said:
The receiver I have at present is Fortec Star Beta. I don't think they make it any more.

thank you for help everyone. It has been very useful.

Did you check if your receiver has a subtitle capability?
Go over the Menu (or setup, etc.) button and look for subtitle.
It could be under the user preferences or something similar.
Check if you have Subtitle "Off" and change selection to "English".
Then open a channel that you know it is sending subtitles and press the corresponding button to switch sub. on/off.
If you have a user guide manual, please attach it and we will try to help you.
Also attach a picture of the remote.
BTW: as you are looking only for FTA receivers, put a post in the classified section. You might get them very cheap or even free (not including postage).