Receiving BBC/ITV/Ch4 + 5 south of Rome

Mark Fardelli

Reaction score
My Location
Rome
In a past post I spoke about my Panasonic receiver not working anymore and going on standby...if I buy a non Sky simple free to air digital receiver (currently on sale at my local supermarket for €74!) and presuming that the dish is alligned etc can I get BBC Radio and Ch 4 and 5 without using my free to view card?

Obviously not being an expert is it possible that the BBC may widen the beem for the astra 2d satellite or use other bands (please forgive me using any wrong terminology) that might mean that we can see/hear something here south of Rome?

If I have to buy a new receiver on line can anyone let me know of an honest dealer that I can contact?

Many thanks

M

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes the receiver should be fine for the Free To Air channels within the scope of your dish size, but as for channel 4 and 5, you will need a Freesat card.

It is very unlikely that the BBC channels will be spread any wider footprint wise, unless they re-encrypt and I can't see that happening in the near future, although it is not an impossibility.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The BBC cant widen the beam - they dont own the satellite & SES Astra really wouldnt like the BBC fooling around with the technical performance of their satellite!

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Today the reception of BBC/ITV was coming through at 07-00 am,
for the last 3 months good reception was only possible from 12-00 noon
till 19-00pm exactly.
Having monitored the reception over the last 3 years,it seems that the satellite 2D gets repositioned as the nights draw in.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Many FTA receivers are not as sensitive as the best Sky Digiboxes.

Fringe 2D reception: It's a complex mix of factors, earth's distance from sun, ambient temperature, water vapour in the troposphere, local pollution, station-keeping and probably few other things I haven't thought of. I don't think Astra turn up the power in the autumn.
Dr Kelso explains it quite well HERE
The most striking graph is this one, the data is old but this pattern repeats each year. 2D reception is very similar, based on my own observations.

Attachments

• fig-6a.gif
    fig-6a.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 32

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Very interesting, thanks,my theory is that they reposition the satellite at this time of the year,so that the solar panels face the sun at a lower angle for the winter months.
This slight change is enough to increase the sidelobe,it happens here that the reception has changed on a constant basis over the last 3 years ie poor reception in the summer,great reception in the winter.