Receiving Cyprus Channels

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
Ok, I'm very new to all this, so please be patient!

I'm trying to get as many free to air Cyprus/Greek channels for my mum.

She has an east facing balcony on the 14th floor of a block of flats. Which satellite should she point to, what equipment is needed (cheap and simple, she's very old) and who can fit it?

She lives in NW3.

Please help! This would make her very happy.

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
Is that the best for Cyprus? There are a lot of Greece channels, but not all the Cyprus one.

What equipment would I need? Can I get away with a discreet dish?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Cyprus will be ERT and RIK sat. I have done plenty of them. All you need is a 60cm facing Hellasat @ 39e, a FTA receiver and your away. Trnasponder 12606H, 30000, 5/6 :D

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, the 12606H transponder looks like it has a few Greek FTA channels on it.

Judging by the footprint _http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/hellas2_f1.html it should be possible with a Sky minidish. I will check later with mine.

Receiver wise you just need a FTA satellite receiver, there's no point in spending too much on it. I think one of the site sponsors was selling a Golden Interstar for about £35, don't know what it's like though.

Robbo:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Robbo71 said:
Yes, the 12606H transponder looks like it has a few Greek FTA channels on it.

Judging by the footprint _http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/hellas2_f1.html it should be possible with a Sky minidish. I will check later with mine.

Receiver wise you just need a FTA satellite receiver, there's no point in spending too much on it. I think one of the site sponsors was selling a Golden Interstar for about £35, don't know what it's like though.

HellSat is an easy catch on even a 43cm zone 1 dish on a good day, although Id want a 60cm zone 2 dish for rain fade.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
I have tried a Zone 1 on 39e Robbo and it's receivable but signal quality was marginal. A Zone 2 will cope with no problems :D

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
jammy1 said:
What equipment would I need? Can I get away with a discreet dish?

If a zone 1 minidish were sufficient, you may be able to get away with it mounted below the level of the handrail, since you are going to be pointing roughly at 51 degree angle from the wall.

EDIT:
AS and satman, you posted while I was still thinking/typing :)
I think I'll try it anyway as the OP is closer to me than you Midlanders.

:)

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
What's a zone 1 / 2 dish?

The walls at the side of the east facing inset balcony face north and south, so the dish will be attached there.

Is there someone who could fit it for me?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
They both look a bit like this:- (see below)

The zone 1 are about 50 odd cm wide, the zone 2 are about 70cm.

They are what Sky use, the larger ones are for the weaker signal areas up t'north.:)

jammy1 said:
What's a zone 1 / 2 dish?

The walls at the side of the east facing inset balcony face north and south, so the dish will be attached there.

Is there someone who could fit it for me?

Ahh, then, you should be OK, on the south facing one.

There is an installer list on the front page I believe. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to fit at all, you don't fancy a bit of DIY then?

http://www.satellites.co.uk/installers/

Attachments

• zone1.jpg
    zone1.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 118

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
you don't fancy a bit of DIY then?

Well, I could give it a go, but how do I get the directions and elevation right?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
jammy1 said:
Well, I could give it a go, but how do I get the directions and elevation right?

I always use _www.dishpointer.com

Just enter you postcode, and the sat you want, and it will tell you the required azimuth and elevation.

And if you zoom into the Map, to your building, you can see where the yellow line points to, and point the dish that way.

Of course adjustments will be needed to actually pick anything up, but you can use the signal quality meter on the receiver, to wiggle the dish around for maximum signal quality.

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
Ok let's say I've grown some balls, I'd still need a list of all the equipment I need, including cabling, and somewhere to buy it all from.

Any suggestions?

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
What's this kind of stuff like?

ebay 140237225316

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I'm not familar with that make or receiver, one of the others may be.:)

Technically it will do the job though, it is a Digital FTA satellite receiver, just what you want. And at that price who's complaining.:)

Incidentally, I decided to try my zone1 minidish on 39E, looked at the transponder 12606H and getting a good signal at the moment, 71% in fair whether, which is only 1% lower that one of the main channels I get from Eurobird1 (Tiny Pop). So if discreetness was the utmost priority I think you would get away with it, but since these are the only channels you are after really, for peace of mind the Zone 2 would provide it.
(see screenshot below)

As for equipment, you could either pick it all up from ebay

Zone1/zone2 minidish and LNB
wf100 coax
Receiver.

Or check out one of the site sponsors for example, Southern Satellite has the TM3100D and both minidish sizes. CDTronics also does a full FTA kit, but you may want a dish upgrade.

plus any fixings, I have used coach bolts and rawlplugs on my minidish, but for extra strength you you should use sleeve anchor bolts.

Attachments

• RIKSAT.JPG
    RIKSAT.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 44

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Good result Robbo for Zone 1 :D

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
WOW, thanks for all your effort. I've found a complete kit for 90 quid that looks like it will do the job.

What do you think?

ebay 310054948378

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yep it should do. The receiver make is not given though.

I'd be more inclined to go for a well known brand if I were going to pay that much for it. The TM3100 as mentioned before is about £40, and the Dish/LNB is about £30, good cable (wf100) or the Televes equivalent is usually about 50p a metre.

BTW, the site admins prefer that no direct links to ebay items are posted, just the word ebay and the item number.;)

jammy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SF118, 60cm dish
My Location
London, UK
Robbo71 said:
Yep it should do. The receiver make is not given though.

I'd be more inclined to go for a well known brand if I were going to pay that much for it. The TM3100 as mentioned before is about £40, and the Dish/LNB is about £30, good cable (wf100) or the Televes equivalent is usually about 50p a metre.

BTW, the site admins prefer that no direct links to ebay items are posted, just the word ebay and the item number.;)

Oops sorry for posting Ebay stuff... Could you advise somewhere that sells that receiver and a 60cm dish for a good price? I can't seem to find a good shop.

Thanks in advance!