Reception on thor

M

marriott30

Hi all

We have an 80 dish and are in chelmsford, we are on thor and only get some channels do you think a bigger dish is needed Diema + is one of the channels

Cheers Paul

digimac_uk

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester
Hi Paul, I'm no expert but in Manchester with a 1.0m dish I can get Canal+, MUtv :) and a few others but can't seem to get the Kiosk channels so my advice is to enjoy what you can get for now cos it ain't gonna last if the past couple of months (or years) are anything to go by.
Stay lucky,

Dom.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I'm in south west Cornwall - just about as far off the Thor footprint as you can get in mainland UK. With a 90 cm dish, I can get all the Kiosk channels, Discovery, MUTV etc during the daytime and if there's no cloud. As soon as night falls or we get heavy cloud cover, reception goes to pot. My 1.1 metre Triax dish arrived today, so I've spent most of the afternoon fiddling with the mount to get the arc as near perfect as possible. Unfortunately, this wasn't helped by bearing failure on my old motor (that's another story) but preliminary readings show that signal strength and quality on 1 deg W are almost 100% better with the bigger dish - even after the sun sets. My guess is that in Chelmsford a 1.1 metre dish would give good reception and you might even pull in TV1000 on Sirius - provided that your arc tracking is accurate.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Dom, Manchester should get all of the Kiosks with a 1 metre dish, I get them down in Berkshire with an 80cm and we should receive a similar signal, you should check that you have the right transponder details.

digimac_uk

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester
Hi Rolf, I got the tuning details off satcodx.com and it found them, but the signal strength was about 50% along with signal quality and they won't clear, had a few interesting pixilated stutters off private gold though....

Dom.
P.S.
I notice I'm now a "Regular Contributer" how cool is that?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
digimac_uk said:
Hi Rolf, I got the tuning details off satcodx.com and it found them, but the signal strength was about 50% along with signal quality and they won't clear, had a few interesting pixilated stutters off private gold though....

May be worth a bit of tweaking, but 50% of both should get you a watchable picture.

P.S.
I notice I'm now a "Regular Contributer" how cool is that?

Wait until your name turns green Dom, even more cool. ;)

digimac_uk

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester
Can't wait, this is a bit like the old newsgroups, before the idiots and spammers took over! Like I've said in the past, best forum I've come across.
Best wishes to you and yours Rolf,

Dom.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
digimac_uk said:
Best wishes to you and yours Rolf,

Hes nowt to do with me - you should see the state of his van :p

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
@ digimac

Private Gold seems to be one of the weaker channels. If you can get MUTV, Kiosk should not be a problem. I've heard that some hardware combinations won't clear Kiosk, although other C*n*x channels are ok. What receiver/CAM/card are you using? Mine's a 5400, patched with ToH 3.2 and a Season, using Emulatorek 10a from Xamuh.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Channel Hopper said:
Hes nowt to do with me - you should see the state of his van :p

Ah, but the new one is tidy, I've also got racking in it. :D

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I have a 1.1m dish here in ROI , it will pick up most channels on thor but not TV1000 or any of the channels on the nordic beam, but then I am on the very edge of Europe.

digimac_uk

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester
Hi Wolsty,
I'm using an Echostar 3600ip software version escia 900, mm converted to mr and a Titanium card.

Cheers,

Dom.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Razor said:
I have a 1.1m dish here in ROI , it will pick up most channels on thor but not TV1000 or any of the channels on the nordic beam, but then I am on the very edge of Europe.

I can see within a month of having the system installed you will be trying to fit a 2m onto the side of your house.

Its a contagious hobby

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I'll give you a shout when I have the 2m dish.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow

mole4319

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
I'm sorry to say that although Diema+ is encrypted in Conax the keys are not known.
So you can have as large a dish as you can afford but unless you have an official subscription you won't be able to watch Diema+

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
mole4319 said:
ooopps.....sorry :(
Nothing like telling as it is :)

I was hoping to sell a 4.5m dish before spilling the beans.

Oh well, now to work on Razor ;)