reception problem after cable replacement

rocker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard
My Location
newport south wales
Hi, I have recently replaced my sister's sky cable to add another 3-4 feet (the cable itself is less than 10 meters). After unsuccessful attempts with a cheap extesion cable, we cut the cable and jointed in a section of standard coax (probably not the best idea in the world). This appeared to work but after a week or so, my sister realised that certain channels (mainly some kids channels and music) are very pixelated. For the time being, I took the extended section out and put the plug on the now-4-inches-shorter original lead. The channels worked fine and I went and purchased some 'satellite grade' cable with a view to replacing the whole cable. On doing this, the same channels are affected by pixelation. I then noticed that whoever originally put the dish up has wound some cable around the bracket. Laughing at myself, I re-attach the original cable (again), pull the 'slack' through the wall (but not to the point whewre its pulling on the dish's arm), reconnect the plug and expect success. I do not get it. The same channels are now affected with the original cable, the only difference being a loop of cable that was around the bracket is now in a straight line going down the wall. I have checked the cable and can see no problems, and all connections to plugs are present and correct. I am also 99.9% sure that i have not moved the dish in any way. Any ideas?
To save time, I am considering buying an inline amplifier if this will work. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome.

No don't put an in-line amplifier on the feed. Just replace the whole run of cable and hopefully you should be fine. You may not be able to see but if the cable had a few kinks this can cause problems with the data travelling down it. The simple solution is to do the above first:D

rocker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard
My Location
newport south wales
thanks man, but i have already replaced the whole cable with decent grade sattelite coax once and it didnt work. it just seems beyond belief to me!

rocker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard
My Location
newport south wales
ooh and what exactly do these in line amps do? what would be the disadvantage of trying one? they seem to get a bad press which begs the question: why are they still on sale?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
rocker said:
thanks man, but i have already replaced the whole cable with decent grade sattelite coax once and it didnt work. it just seems beyond belief to me!

Then it's possible you may have knocked the dish off alignment. ;)

Decent cable should be CAI benchmarked.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
rocker said:
ooh and what exactly do these in line amps do? what would be the disadvantage of trying one? they seem to get a bad press which begs the question: why are they still on sale?

They are strictly for signal compensation, whether it be for loss in extra long cable runs, or launching through a multiswitch. All that you will do by adding one to a standard cable length is increase the level of noise.

It is much more likely that the dish is misaligned.

rocker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard
My Location
newport south wales
hmmm is this cable likey to be any good: ebay 360057061712

If it has been knocked out of alignment, how easy is it to re align? I would have imagined if its off alignment then all of the channels would be afftected, not just a few? perhaps not.

Also, what is it that the inline amps do? they always seem to get a bad press, which begs the question whay are they still on the market?! are they good for anything at all, or just a bit of a con?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, CT100 is excellent cable.

Re-aligning is not too difficult, easier if you can see a portable TV screen with the signal strength and quality readings. Some channels will be affected more than others.

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Hi rocker i,m near to you, (cwmbran) if you pm me with your phone number i,ll help you out,

Dave