marshanite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibertini
Technomate TM-1000D
LNB
My Location
100k north of Pisa
Just north of Pisa. Gib 1.5m dish, Invacom LNB, Technomate 1000D. I know that I am out of the footprint for Astra 2A but I can get a signal from Eurobird. I presume they are two different sats. On my receiver the Astra2 and Eurobird are the same. Don't know why. However when I do a scan it picks up nothing for the astra transponders with a symbol rate of 22.000ms/s but then picks it up for transponders with symbol rate of 27.500 ms/s which I think belong to eurobird.

question. am i out of the astra footprint and in the eurobird footprint and that why I can see the latter. If not I am I doing something wrong. I think I should be able to pick up something on the Astra with my setup.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The two satellites are co-located, the Astra 2D footprint is quite restricted, the other Astras should be fine for you in Pisa with a 1.5m dish all should come in well.

marshanite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibertini
Technomate TM-1000D
LNB
My Location
100k north of Pisa
i know Im being a p in the a but I have now managed to get good signal strength and quality on astra28.2. However again when I do a blind search/scan it still picks up the transponders on the other astras. Is there a way to make the system just pick up the transponders from 28.2. I presume what is happening is that the signal stregnth from the other sats is stronger
than 28.2 and hence is overriding 28.2. which has the same transponder freq. as 28.2. Did a factory reset sometime ago, will this have affected it?

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
I can get Astra 2d here in Florence ok,Pisa is considered a hot spot for 2D,my
FTA receivers work ok,i did have one that would not pick up 2A/B,it would only scan Astra 3.so i chucked it out.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
marshanite said:
i know Im being a p in the a but I have now managed to get good signal strength and quality on astra28.2. However again when I do a blind search/scan it still picks up the transponders on the other astras. Is there a way to make the system just pick up the transponders from 28.2. I presume what is happening is that the signal stregnth from the other sats is stronger
than 28.2 and hence is overriding 28.2. which has the same transponder freq. as 28.2. Did a factory reset sometime ago, will this have affected it?

There are 4 satellites co-located in space. Astras 2A, 2B, 2D & Eurobird 1.

The channels Sky transmit use all 4 birds, a blind scan will give you all channels received at a suitable signal strength at your location. If you want to scan an individual frequency, you should be able to do that in the menus somewhere.

marshanite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibertini
Technomate TM-1000D
LNB
My Location
100k north of Pisa
have tried doing just an individual scan on a transponder, I think it was 10788 and instead of scanning and receiving BBC stations I got the transponder for astra 2? and loads of tequilla channels. As stated above the signal strengh and qual on the receiver looks OK for astra 28.2 so why is it scanning 19.2.

Dave what system do you use in Florence.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That one is easy to answer - Your dish is pointing at 19E not 28E :D :-rofl2

marshanite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibertini
Technomate TM-1000D
LNB
My Location
100k north of Pisa
"That one is easy to answer - Your dish is pointing at 19E not 28E"

That would be my logical answer but why do my strength and quality bars on my receiver say 95 and 80 per cent.....at 28.2E

J

Jeff_19341

Only a guess, could it be that some of the transponders on 19east and 28east have the same frequency and polarity and symbol rate.
Can you give us an indication of which channels you are receiving?

marshanite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibertini
Technomate TM-1000D
LNB
My Location
100k north of Pisa
Jeff_19341 said:
Only a guess, could it be that some of the transponders on 19east and 28east have the same frequency and polarity and symbol rate.
Can you give us an indication of which channels you are receiving?

seem to remember that on 10832H I got bible TV which is a channel on Astra 1. Same freq, etc should give me FTA ITV etc on 28e which was the channel that i was doing the scan on

J

Jeff_19341

As you mention, Bibel TV is on 19east transponder 10832H, 22000. That seems to indicate that you are pointing to the wrong satellite, as Analoguesat mentioned, to pick up programmes from the cluster at 28east.
Some of the birds in the 19east cluster do have SR's of 27500.
Taquilla is on 10788V at 19east.
You just have to accept that your dish needs to be moved further east and slightly lower to pick up 28east.
You will not get bleed over from satellites that are 9 degrees apart.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
s Jeff says (hi Jeff!) the same frequencies and parameters are used on various satellites around the orbital arc (theres only so many frequencies in use - all the broadcast satellites use 10950-12750MHz) Therefore there is much overlap.

J

Jeff_19341

Hi Analoguesat

Double post, comes of hitting the reply to post key twice 'cos the board is sooooo slooooow.
This is a thread which would do well on DS:-doh! .

Merry christmas!

marshanite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibertini
Technomate TM-1000D
LNB
My Location
100k north of Pisa
sorry for not giving you all the details but after a while things blurr a bit.

Seem to remember that on one occassion I managed to receive some channels located on Eurobird, B4, True movies etc. I thought bingo as this would mean that at least I'm in the vicinity (of 2D) but try as i might couldn't get anything on 2d. Slowly, I'm coming to the following conclusions - that i might not have a big enough dish, might have to get somebody out who has a decent sat finder or might have to purchase a decent sat finder myself.

Many thanks for everybody who contributed.

marshanite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibertini
Technomate TM-1000D
LNB
My Location
100k north of Pisa
Just to put my mind at ease what part does the active transponder play in all this. On my technomate the active transponder at the moment (for Astra 28.2) is 11.662 / 27.500 which if Lyngsat is correct corresponds to a transponder on Eurobird. Should I change it to one on Astra2d. I don't have a motorised system so I can't see what effect it would have. Am I clutching at straws..

marshanite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibertini
Technomate TM-1000D
LNB
My Location
100k north of Pisa
Just to put my mind at ease what part does the active transponder play in all this. On my technomate the active transponder at the moment (for Astra 28.2) is 11.662 / 27.500 which if Lyngsat is correct corresponds to a transponder on Eurobird. Should I change it to one on Astra2d. I don't have a motorised system so I can't see what effect it would have. Am I clutching at straws..

max.max

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 fixed dish 90cm invacom0.3 dual 13°E -
1 fixed dish 130cm cambridge lnb 0.6 28°E -
1 panasonic 30 and 1 amstrad sky digiboxes - 1 echostar 808ci viaccess - dragon, joker, CAS 3 I/F
My Location
rome, italy
As David from Florence says, I am quite sure you can get also 2D with 1.5 from Pisa. There should be also someone else down in Grosseto picking it up with 1.5.

Try and make sure that you are pointing at the right satellite. Take a look at the other dishes (60-90cm) around your place and if your dish alignment seems quite similar to the other ones (which are pointing at 13°) you are for sure on 19° and not 28°. The difference in angle can be appreciated easily at a glance. It is anyway very very difficult to align a 1.5 dish without a satfinder or similar instrument. I have managed with great difficulty to set it up with an old analog instrument setting the frequency for reference at 12051 which has a very strong signal.

For anyone who is able and willing to help : I have a very strange problem (at least for me) with my echostar 808 2ci viacess. I know, it’s not good, but it works much better that the original sky shittybox which keeps freezing at any minimum signal variation (clouds). At least now with the echostar+dragoncam+predator+skyoriginalcard I am able to watch all 2A/2B (almost) channels even if there is heavy rain. Coming to strange problem, with the echostar I am not able to tuned in both manually or with autoscan the frequencies for CHANNEL 4 and 5. I can get them manually tuned (add channels function) with the sky box, a panny 30, the one which freezes continuously and overheats, but there is no way I can pick them up with the echostar. It just skips 12168 as if it does not exist and it does not find anything on 12304. It seems you can not tune in a frequency completely manually, and when you try to do that it seems to be able to scan always and only what is already programmed in the f* software.:-doh!
Please give me a hand if have any idea and you know that stupid machine. I’ve also tried to follow instruction manual step by step and to write and call echostar, but no luck.