Recieving 2 Satellites on One Dish

erik1

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I've had touble finding any useful info regarding it.

I'm in central Europe and have a 110cm dish. When I aim at Thor (1°W) I get it very strong. Also when I aim the dish at Amos (4°W) it's a little more difficult to find, but once I get it, the signal is strong. But getting the 2 together has eluded me so far! Are the Satellites TOO close together?

Any tricks or tips? (Yes, I have a LNB holder that allows 2 LNBs to slide along them)

Thanks for the input!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, 3 degrees is too close, 6 degrees is about the minimum you can do with two LNBs on a standard dish.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I would have thought that if you have slim LNBs it might be possible with a 110cm dish?

The LNBs will be spaced further apart than on a 60 or even 80cm dish and also the beamwidth will be narrower which means that there will be less chance of cosatellite interference.

If you've already got the gear give it a go. Point at 4W and put 1W on the side LNB.

PaulR

erik1

Yes! I "split it down the middle" and got both 1°W and 4°W on one dish! When I pointed the dish at 4°W and tried to get 1°W on the side, it didn't work (and same vice-versa). But when I pointed the dish BETWEEN the 2 satellites and split the LNBs down the middle it worked! The LNBs are butted right up against each other, but it does work.

Thanks for the input RolfW, but I guess even old dogs can still learn new tricks ;) Never say no until you try....

erik1

ikuwara200: no, i have 2 seperate Invacom LNBs. I've never saw a LNB like you showed there. Is it fixed at 5° seperation? or can it be adjusted?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Glad you got it sorted Erik1, surprised that it worked, but then that is what the hobby is about, making things work which shouldn't on paper. :)

erik1

Thanks. Yea, it was very tricky getting the dish and LNBs set up to recieve the 2 SATs at once, but so far it seems to work ok. At first I had some pictures freezing, but now that seems to have stopped.

I have a Samsung 9500 that shows channel reception in "Yellow" bars and "White" bars. The "Yellow" bars (Signal Strength?) read at about 50% but the "White" bars (Signal Quality?) read only 1 or 2 bars (about 5-10%) during partly-cloudy weather. However, like I said, the picture is clear on all channels. I'm waiting for some rain and fog to see how the picture quality is then. One follow up question:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS THE MINIMUM SIGNAL STRENGTH/QUALITY NEEDED TO VIEW A CHANNEL IS??

Anyway, I suppose the set-up I have just barely works and wouldn't reccomend going for 2 SATs that are only 3° apart, but it does work for me non-the-less and I'm happy for that :). I originally wanted to go for Thor and Sirius (6° apart) but couldn't get Sirius due to obsticals :( Amos doesn't have much, but at least a few Russian/Ukrainian channels....