Recommendations : simple freeview box

CaptainGlassback

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm using a Nokia myself which has its advantages but despite beta software it is not a good performer! I want a 2nd box but am a bit lost trawling through up to date sites! I don't want Topup or interactivity or hard drive. I do want fast channel swithching and ability to pull in weak signals and no freezeups and ideally the 7 day EPG. (Perhaps i am expecting too much!). Anyone any recommendations please?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The boxes I use are Sagem, £39.95 from Richer Sounds, super little boxes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Do these have rf modulators? Im thinking of investing in a dtt box to give us more recording flexibility now some decent channels have arrived on dtt, but any box has to have rf outputs.

(yes I know scart is supposed to give you superior pictures, but rf is quite good enough for me.:D)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm pretty sure they do, although I only normally use the loopthrough. :)

CaptainGlassback

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Rolfw your recommendation was excellent. Basic Sagem for £29.95 in Argos. The channel change speed and teletext is excellent. I can recommend this to others BUT do bear in mind this is the cheap option for those who only want pictures and teletext. The basic model has only 1 scart, no Fav listing no event timer. Ideal to get Grandma started!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, you certainly can't beat the price. :) I have found that for many people, the more simple the better, older folk in particular want the remote to be similar to their old TV one and do not welcome too many whistles and bells. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
older folk particular want the remote to be similar to their old TV one and do not welcome too many whistles and bells. :)
Why not we probably couldn't hear them anyhow.....:-ohmy

CaptainGlassback

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Rolfw. Your Sagem recommendation turned out to be excellent. (Not that I doubted your judgement!). Thanks. Have now given it away to an 89 yr old who certainly doesn't want bells and whistles! Now I have decided that I want one!!! I do want a 'bell or whistle' namely a timer function for recording. I can't see in specs whether or not the more expensive (!) Sagem has a timer function. (Model 64). Does anyone have that model or know if it has timer?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I used to recommend the Setpal (Daewoo), but no epg, latest software is 'orrible, and anyway Setpal is now defunct.

The best current Freeview/Topup receiver seems to be the iplayer :

see www.radioandtelly.co.uk/iplayer.html .

It's also the most expensive, but you might get version 1 cheaper on eBay.

(on version 1, no Topup TV, although the Topup CAM may be added later, along with software off internet, downloaded via phone line by the iplayer itself, no computer needed!).