jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate twin tuner 7100HD
Motorised Fracarro Penta 85cm
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
I know it is a matter of opinion, but, I would like your views on which systems will suit my requirements, and where I could buy it from.

I have Sky (and want it going forward) and I presume that has to stay where it is?

I want to view the Chinese channel on TVBS Europe (19.2E) without subscribing.

Some hardcore (of course!) mature content channels

and any other channels the world has to offer (OK I might need to scale that back a bit)

What components do I need to get myself up and running and where's the best place to buy from? For info I do have a peer-to-peer network at home (just in case that helps!).

Budget is around £500 but could be persuaded to spend a little more is it really added value.

Sorry if you guys get asked this over and over again, I've looked over previous topics but can't cut through some of the jargon to say "that's what I want".

Cheers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
See http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=26704 for some information, there are also several other posts answering the same or similar questions and most are pretty much jargon free.

Problem is that you need to study some of the jargon anyway to be able to get the system up and running. For a good general coverage of channels, you need a motorised system, you also need a good receiver, what type of receiver will be dependant on what type of dish and motor you buy, the bigger dishes require a 36v motor and either a receiver with a 36v positioner built in, or an interface from the more common DiseqC protocaol to 36v.

What frequency is TVBS on?

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Don't you just love it when you answer a thread and ask for some more information from the originator and they do not come back:rolleyes:

Hold on just a minute I will search through the 340 channels that my receiver has logged on that satellite for TVBS or I could search through the lists in Flysat ar King of Sat (NOT!)

TVBS does not come up in the alphabetical list of channels on my receiver on the bird at 19.2 east.

For best prices buy your gear from one of the well known .de suppliers.

Regards AF

jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
Thanks for the help, I have so many questions but I will try and read other post first.

AForester, I'm sorry I don't understand your post (the first part anyway) it may be because I've just had and indian and a couple of beers or I'm just thick (could be both)

Chinese channel info
TVBS-Europe http://www.chinese-channel.co.uk/english/e_servareas.htm

SatelliteAstra 1Location19.2¢XETransponder No.68Frequency11778 MHzPolarisationVerticalEncryptionCanal Plus Technologies MediaguardCompressionMPEG2 (DVB Standard)Symbol Rate27.5 MS/sUplinkerNTL, Crawley Court, Winchester, UK

Thanks for your help.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi jetkis, thanks for the channel info, didn't have that TP listed on my box, but just tuned it in. Don't think that there is much you can do with that channel at the moment, apart from buying a subscription and I understand that the subscription is relatively expensive.

jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
Is there a post anywhere or a guide to all the componants of a Satellite system and what they do, e.g. CAM, Programmer etc?

Also I was looking in What Satellite at the channel list and was wandering, for the channels that have an encryption, is all you need a CAM to view the channel or do you need a card to. Do you need to keep swapping the CAM each time you go from one encryption method to another.
Thanks.
(Still learning)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I don't think that there is any one post with all of the information you require, the problem being that there are so many variations of equipment for different purposes.

An example of a setup with a lot of potential:

Dreambox receiver
DiseqC motor
90cm dish
low noise LNB
Computer with ethernet connectivity

Another setup with potential:

Echostar 3600ip
36v motor
1.2m dish
low noise LNB
Dragon Cam

Yet another:

Humax 5400 with latest software
DiseqC motor
90cm Dish
Low noise LNB

There are then additions available, DiseqC to 36v interfaces, different CAMs, Smart cards including Titanium, MII or Knottcards, programmers, etc, etc. Really cannot give a definitive answer in one post.

There is a lot of great equipment out there and some of it suits certain people better than others, it will also depend on your technical ability, or at the very least your ability to learn.

jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
I'm hungry to learn that's for sure, how much my brain can take is another matter!
So what about the encryption question? Do you need to swap the CAM's all the time?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not with a Dreambox, everything is emulated in the box, no cards or CAMs required, similar to a degree with the Humax, although they are difficult to get hold of in patched format.

Using something like the Technomate or Echostar you would need a CAM, there are CAMs such as the X-CAM, Dragon CAM or Matrix Revolutions which will also emulate a card and delkiver several encryptions without swapping.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Then there's the Fortecstar range - no cams, no cards, relatively cheap - just download a patch every few weeks which includes the latest files for various encryption systems.
Of course the Dreambox wins hands down for sheer versatility due to its having an Ethernet port, but if you're just starting out maybe the Fortec might be a possible choice.
Still, that Dbox certainly looks tempting...

Llew

jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
Now I'm learning, thanks for the replies.
So if I have a Dreambox and I tune into a channel that's encrypted it will automatically decrypt the signal. So what are the cards for?

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
jetkis said:
Now I'm learning, thanks for the replies.
So if I have a Dreambox and I tune into a channel that's encrypted it will automatically decrypt the signal. So what are the cards for?

NO, it's not that easy. First the channel must be hacked. You then need to download the file for the channel or packege you want to see , and load the file or patch into the Dreambox, or on to a card like the Tit card if you have some of the other receivers Rolfw has mensioned.

jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
Ah I see, hence why the Dreambox with it's ethernet connection is a good idea I take it. Where do you get these files codes from?