Recording From Ss2 To Hdd

Alan Pee

Reaction score
Is there any special prog. or configuration that could shrink files of progs or movies being recorded from Sky Star2 to HDD? I find it difficult to record because the files are usually to big, several gigs for a two hour movie. I use ProgDVB.

Maurice1

Reaction score
My Location
DUblin
Hi Alan
I dont think there is but I just bought a 250gb external drive for that purpose and it works fine through the USB2 connection. I found the only way to get the recordings shrunk and to fit on a normal 4gb DVD was to buy a programme called Magix edit pro10 for €28.00 from PCworld.
Hopefully this is of some help
Maurice

Alan Pee

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Maurice. Sounds very useful and lasitng solution. Cheers M8!

john22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung Motorised COMAG sl55. Panosonic TUDSB 30 Sky box.
My Location
Ireland
Hi Alan,
You could also convert your files {after you have downloaded them] to AVI format about 700mbs for a 4.7 gbs movie. Try a goggle DVD to AVI.
No noticable loss of quality. This is what I do when I want to keep something. John22.

boxnut

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turnkey 700mhz athelon .5gb ram,120 gb,drive
j-test j-tag setup
I use nero to burn dvds,if you use the 'recode' plugin, you can either check 'fit to trarget' ,recode as an 'svcd',(efectively what john22 is doing) or encode as mpeg4,(you need a player that supports mp4 to view these).
a 2 hour movie fits well on 4gb disk with subtitles and dolby5.1 sound.
cheers 'boxnut'

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
ideal solution is to have a large hard drive like 100 gig upwards :) saves a lot of hassle in the long run. hard drives are getting cheaper all the time.