mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
When I was using Gemini Manager last night, I found a "record" facility. Does this record the channel being watched on the DB and if yes, where does it record it? Or have I got it wrong and I have to record using the Dreambox OSD?

And on an unrelated issue, are there any good online satellite channel websites (a bit like Radio Times but for satellites)? I've seen onthe b*x and a few similar but they don't tell you the satellite.. a language and encryption used would be useful :)

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
mhku said:
When I was using Gemini Manager last night, I found a "record" facility. Does this record the channel being watched on the DB and if yes, where does it record it? Or have I got it wrong and I have to record using the Dreambox OSD?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking ..... :confused
if you have a dreambox with a hard disk inside, you can record any programme on this hard disk, and even use your db as a VCR - but I suppose you know this ? It's standard on all images.

mhku said:
And on an unrelated issue, are there any good online satellite channel websites (a bit like Radio Times but for satellites)? I've seen onthe b*x and a few similar but they don't tell you the satellite.. a language and encryption used would be useful :)
not sure either :-ohmy if you want an on-line programme guide or a satellite information site, judging by the last sentense I'd say you want the latter, so have a look at : http://www.lyngsat.com

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Gemini Manager has a red button called "REC" which would indicate (to me, at least) that it records the TV signal sent from the DB via the LAN cable onto my PC - as Gemini Manager runs on the PC. DB500s has no hard drive :(

Yes, an online programme guide like Radio Times but for satellite tv- not Lyngsat as that only seems to list satellites, transponders etc.

dmm

Reaction score
mhku said:
Gemini Manager has a red button called "REC" which would indicate (to me, at least) that it records the TV signal sent from the DB via the LAN cable onto my PC - as Gemini Manager runs on the PC. DB500s has no hard drive :(

Yes, an online programme guide like Radio Times but for satellite tv- not Lyngsat as that only seems to list satellites, transponders etc.

yes guys hes right aint he - i heard something about this being able to record to networked PC via DB lan connection - can anyone else flesh this out a bit - as i dont own one .....?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, ngrab is a good place to start. There are several good threads about this here.

As the 5620 doesn't have a hard disk, you can simply point your favourite image at a remote disk (like the one in your PC...) using one of several methods of mounting and 'sharing' a remote resource.

Have no need myself, as I wasn't so tight-fisted as to go for the cheap 5620!!! :p

Only joking m8s! Reckon you'll have the last laugh when you check your bank balance!

mbranco

Order of "Knight of the Idiot Guide"
Reaction score
my experience in recording onto PC from dreambox is using VLC: it comes from a nice open source project (videolan.org), and since I discovered it, VLC has become my favourite media-player too.

I never thought to record from DB onto PC (it's so comfortable to record on the DB' harddisk), but since when I've to use newcamd to look at (italian) SKY programs, while recording I get several freezings, very annoying.
Since recording on PC solves this problem (I'd like to discover why!), I've begun to use VLC.

Cheers:)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I like VLC, and it's a great way to play the Dreambox's .TS files on the PC, but I can't get the transfer rate up enough to stream video over my 54G wireless network.... I just KNOW I should have run a cat 5 cable up through the ceiling as well! :)

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Being a poor 5620 owner, I use the following method for recording on pc and playback (found to be better than other methods like mtuxvision and mgrab). I tried it with Gemini1.04. :-

In PC

(1) Create another user dream with username and passwd both dream.
(2) Create shared directory c:\dreambox\movie
(3) Download and install VLC player. Link .mpg and .ts files to VLC player.

In DB

(4) Download plugin CIFS.
(5) In expert settings-comm-blue button-select the following (See Attachment 'CIFS Howto' for more help).

PC ip
CIFS
Dir-dream
local dir -hdd
dream
dream
RW
leave the rest
Mount.

To record

(6) Video button followed by the Radio button. To stop recording, press Radio button again.

To watch on TV

(7) Dream-File mode-root-hdd-movie - select file OK.

Hope it works for you. Regards, pcd.

mbranco

Order of "Knight of the Idiot Guide"
Reaction score
@BGonaSTICK
Sorry, I don't know which transfer rate is "54G"... I'm not an expert, but if the transfer rate is too low, I suppose it's not enough for each tool you can use to grab: isn't it? (I've not understood from previous posts if you're able to use ngrab, instead)

@PCD
wow, wonderful, so you can record on PC using the remote control!
I never thought this, because until now I didn't find a reason to share PC's hard-disk with dreambox: but this is a valid reason!
I suppose you can use NFS instead of CIFS (anyone knows which is better? I don't know these tools)

:cool:

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
@Mhku

Sorry I made a mistake in my earlier post Step 5, it should be PC ip. I have edited the post now.

Regarding the Gemini Manager REC button, if you press it (with streaming off) the channel will be recorded to your shared folder movie provided you have sucessfully mounted CIFS. It does the same thing as the remote method.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
PCD said:
@Mhku

Sorry I made a mistake in my earlier post Step 5, it should be PC ip. I have edited the post now.

Regarding the Gemini Manager REC button, if you press it (with streaming off) the channel will be recorded to your shared folder movie provided you have sucessfully mounted CIFS. It does the same thing as the remote method.

Excellent post m8. :D

Are you OK if I copy this into the IG?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Excellent post m8. :D

Are you OK if I copy this into the IG?

Please go ahead. I have edited the post to attach a CIFS howto.

Regards, pcd.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
mbranco said:
Sorry, I don't know which transfer rate is "54G"... I'm not an expert, but if the transfer rate is too low, I suppose it's not enough for each tool you can use to grab: isn't it? (I've not understood from previous posts if you're able to use ngrab, instead)

Yes m8, the theoretical transfer speed of a 54G wireless connection is 54Mbps, but in practice, it falls way below this and I'm fairly confident that's why it doesn't work for me. I've not used any other tools to stream over the wireless connection.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
PCD said:
Please go ahead. I have edited the post to attach a CIFS howto.

Regards, pcd.

Nice one. 'Tis done. ;)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Nice writeup PCD (and Stick for IG-ing it) It actually gives me the feeling that I could get it working (which is a compliment!)

Keep up the good work!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
PCD said:
Being a poor 5620 owner, I use the following method for recording on pc and playback (found to be better than other methods like mtuxvision and mgrab). I tried it with Gemini1.04. :-

In PC

In DB

(4) Download plugin CIFS.
(5) In expert settings-comm-blue button-select the following (See Attachment 'CIFS Howto' for more help).

PC ip
CIFS
Dir-dream
local dir -hdd
dream
dream
RW
leave the rest
Mount.

To record

(6) Video button followed by TV button. To stop recording, press TV button again.

To watch on TV

(7) Dream-File mode-root-hdd-movie - select file OK.

Hope it works for you. Regards, pcd.

I got some questions for you:

1) Does the VLC player need to be running when recording?
2) I could not find the .ts files, only .dts , is this normal?
3) Do I need to install the VLC plugin into the dreambox as well? I saw there is such a plugin available
4) I managed to record from the PC-Gemini Manager, but I can't get it to record with the remote. I press the "video" and then the TV button, but nothing happens. Any ideas? When I record with the Gemini manager I can see a flashing red light when pressing the video button...

Thanks for comments! TG

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
T_G said:
I got some questions for you:

1) Does the VLC player need to be running when recording?
2) I could not find the .ts files, only .dts , is this normal?
3) Do I need to install the VLC plugin into the dreambox as well? I saw there is such a plugin available
4) I managed to record from the PC-Gemini Manager, but I can't get it to record with the remote. I press the "video" and then the TV button, but nothing happens. Any ideas? When I record with the Gemini manager I can see a flashing red light when pressing the video button...

Thanks for comments! TG

1) No.
2) Two files should appear in the 'movie' folder - a .ts file and a .EIT file (if using Gemini Manager) or a .epl (if using the remote). All the file will have a name with the channel and the date (eg. 102_5 HIT CH - Current - 30_04_05). I suppose the type of file may be pc related, I am not sure. Anyway the .ts files are the ones to play. What size is your .dts file ? It should be large ! To play in on the TV you don't need to open VLC. To play it on the pc open VLC Player and select file.
3)No need for Vlc plugin at all.
4)Many apologies, after the 'video' button, it should be the 'Radio' button. Problem of not having the remote near when writing ! Could you please edit the IG post, thanks.

Please let us know how you get on. Regards, pcd.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PCD said:
1)

4)Many apologies, after the 'video' button, it should be the 'Radio' button. Problem of not having the remote near when writing ! Could you please edit the IG post, thanks.

Please let us know how you get on. Regards, pcd.

^-J now you tell me!!! :) I did find out, works ok, thanks!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PCD said:

In PC

Here is another small question: When I wanted to link the .mpg and .ts files to the VCL player I could not find the .TS, only .DTS
I did use this one, and it must be it because it is working....