Recording onto DM600 harddrive

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Hi there,

I am considering buying a harddrive for my Dreambox 600! Is it possible to watch one channel while recording another at the same time? Also is it possible to do record using timer so i can set the box to record at a certain time ?

Thanks

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
erukus said:
Hi there,

I am considering buying a harddrive for my Dreambox 600! Is it possible to watch one channel while recording another at the same time?
Unfortunately the answer is no, the tuner can only handle one stream at a time.

Also is it possible to do record using timer so i can set the box to record at a certain time ?
Yes, you can set the timer manually or, by pressing the red button while viewing the EPG program info of any program (this will set the time + channel for you). I bought myself a cheap 40G HD from ebay and its fine for me, I can record around 20 (ish) hours to it.

C:)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Theoretically, there is no reason why you couldn't watch one recording from the disk while making another recording, although this would probably push the hardware beyond its limits, I haven't tried it, Yet!

Most programs are repeated so often anyway. What I do if programs clash is to check the EPG for an airing at a time when I am not likely to be home, or asleep and set the timer for then.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
thanks for your help by the way

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Hi,

I have just purchased a hard drive off ebay. Thankfully for once something has actually worked first time with my dreambox. However I do have a question it is a toshiba hardrive from a spares company it is quite noisy is this usual or is it because maybe it came from an old computer? Anyone know its kind of annoyning that kind of ticking noise?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I wouldn't worry about it, This first drive I had installed in the dreambox was the same, Older drives are generally noisier.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
compufunk said:
Theoretically, there is no reason why you couldn't watch one recording from the disk while making another recording, although this would probably push the hardware beyond its limits, I haven't tried it, Yet
Just to note,

I tried the above and its works fine. So yes, you can watch one recording while making another.
compufunk said:
Unfortunately the answer is no, the tuner can only handle one stream at a time.
And, I cant edit the post quoted here, so here is a revised answer.

You can watch some other channels while recording, other channels on the same frequency as the channel being recorded can be viewed while a record is in process.

Just use the up + down arrows on the remote to see whats available.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ok I think it is a good point to make anyone considering buying a hardrive if you are buying refurbished off ebay or if it is coming from an old computer there is a good chance it is going to be noisy. In my opinion its not the type of thing you want constantly noising as you are watching t.v. regardless of whether your recording or not it keeps noising so be informed.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
erukus said:
regardless of whether your recording or not it keeps noising so be informed.
It should not be making any noise when its not in use, It should go into standby after a few minutes and stop spinning (about 5 by default). You can set the idle time before standby in the menus somewhere.

If its not going into standby then there is either a problem with the disk, or the drivers on the Dreambox are not completely computable with that drive.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ok my bad i didnt realised I had left it recording I was doing some testing and had obviously left it recording. So yes your right it does not noise unless its recording.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Can someone please clarify which exact hard drive is suitable for the DM 600
Compufunk i know you have talked about this before but my roommate is confusing me by saying all hardrives are ide and there is PATA and SATA version so can u or anyone clarify the exact specifications of the type of hard drive that is compatible with a DM600 Thanks

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
PATA = Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment (Same as IDE)
SATA = Serial Advanced Technology Attachment

The difference in the above is how they talk to the main board in the PC. One uses Parallel communications the other Serial communications (Think of it as two different languages).

Apart from that, the connectors are also different..

For a DM-600, you need what everyone else in the world, apart from your friend commonly knows as IDE (Or PATA if he wants to be picky about it).

There are probably ways to get a DM-600 to recognize an SATA drive, but that would be a whole world of trouble, and I guess you would want to avoid that. :)

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ok Thanks for clearing that up Compufunk he was throwing a spanner in the works and confusing me

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Hi Compufunk

i have tried to record one show and watch another on the DM600 and it will not work for example if I try to record something on RTE1 and then press the up arrow it does show me a list of other channels on the same frequency but if i try to select one it give me a warning message that if i want to continue it will stop the recording -any help greatly appreciated before 9:00 pm would be fantastic as I am trying to watch something and record anothe at 9:30 thanks

Ok sorry i have seen the error of my ways you were saying You could watch a recording while recording another - it is not possible to watch one live channel and record another one at the same time with one tuner

Ok re reading again it is still unclear can you clarify please

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Hello erikus,
You need to go to the blue panel, then select Camd Setup -> All Camds and enable the option "can handle two services". After that you wont get the warning about a recording in process.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
That is really handy espicially for recording Irish terretrial as the channels are on the same frequency - Thanks

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
I was wondering would it be possible to listen to a radio station and watch a tv channel at the same time using the method above - if they were on the same transponder.I have asked this question somewhere else and I think the answer was no but seen as the cam can handle two streams I was wondering if it would be possible? Thanks in advance.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Are you talking about having the audio from the radio station coming through the scart connection along with the video from whichever channel you are watching? If so I cant see how that would be possible.

If you are taking about streaming the radio station audio to a PC whilst watching on TV, there may be a way to do that. I've never tried nor would I be sure how you would go about it.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Hi I am asking if there is anyway possible to watch tv and have the audio from the radio station coming through at the same time?

but I persume this is unlikely possible based on your initial reply.

RaV4x420i

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Commander
Dreambox 600pvr
Windows vista
My Location
Cyprus
Is there a way to connect an external usb drive to dreambox 600 pvr? can it be connected to the serial port using a usb to serial adaptor?