Recording to USB Flash Stick

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Installed Gemini 4.5.0 yesterday on my 7000S and everything went well.
I also installed 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB flash stick instead of the 4GB that I had there before and moved the /var to the USB stick.
The idea was to find a way to record to the flash instead of the HDD, hopefully without any picture jerking on some of the channels while recording
The new image has new features that I liked, for example Devices Manager and an improved Information menu.
With the 4GB and previous images, I was unable to record to it, perhaps because of my lack of knowledge with Linux programming.
With the new image, there is a new menu for Record and it was possible to select the USB instead of HDD as the recording device.
I suppose that if I had my external 250GB USB portable disk, it would have been possible to select it as well (didn't try it as it has backups for my PC and I didn't fancy formatting in ext3 just for the test).
Did some recordings and it seems to be smoother than with the HDD. Gives me about 4 hours of recording.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Yes very good
Less heat and noice as well, soon 32 will be better priced ad then we don´t need no HD

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
:confused First off Hi,New member who as just converted to free sat,I have a fortec passion +(Financial restrictions )I have been wading through posts and came across an up date for said machine and this leads to my question(not very technically minded so bear with me please is there a difference between usb flash drives and usb sticks as I need one to attempt the updates on offer,Thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
tjl said:
:confused First off Hi,New member who as just converted to free sat,I have a fortec passion +(Financial restrictions )I have been wading through posts and came across an up date for said machine and this leads to my question(not very technically minded so bear with me please is there a difference between usb flash drives and usb sticks as I need one to attempt the updates on offer,Thanks

USB stick is the pet name for USB flash memory drive.