My Satellite Setup
Panasonic 42 in plasma
fortec star 4200
SKY+
Sky talk and Broadband
old compaq computer
My Location
n.ireland
Will relay stations transmit the full compliment of Freeview channels?

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
From what I heard on the radio the other day, apparently not. I think they said that ITV 3 & 4 will be missing.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No - there are 6 DTT multiplexes and most relay stations will only carry 3 or 4.

For example here in the Scottish Borders only half the population have access to all 6 muxes. 50,000 households served by the dozen or so relays only have 3 muxes.

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
irart said:
From what I heard on the radio the other day, apparently not. I think they said that ITV 3 & 4 will be missing.

Correct IRART this is also stated in the press media and on digital spy

regards dave

totoxj

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic 42 in plasma
fortec star 4200
SKY+
Sky talk and Broadband
old compaq computer
My Location
n.ireland
Thanks all for that,seems stupid of me now for buying a Freeview telly...what a waste.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Not a waste. After DSO (digital switch over) you wouldn't get ANYTHING on an analogue only TV.

If you are using a relay at the moment and only get four terrestrial channels you'll get the reduced digital line-up. If you get Five then you'll get a better selection. although I'm not sure whether it'll be the absolute maximum number of channels.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
PaulR said:
Not a waste. After DSO (digital switch over) you wouldn't get ANYTHING on an analogue only TV.

If you are using a relay at the moment and only get four terrestrial channels you'll get the reduced digital line-up. If you get Five then you'll get a better selection. although I'm not sure whether it'll be the absolute maximum number of channels.

Only folks who get their signals off one of the 80 or so main transmitters will get the full complememnt

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I suppose that I must differentiate between transmitters such as Storeton, near to me, which strictly speaking is a relay of Winter Hill, but which already transmits the full complement of 6 digital muxes and relays which are only transmitting analogue channels.

Looking at my ages old Antiference transmitting sites list I can't see any relays of Winter Hill that tranmit more than 4 analogue channels so they will change to the reduced digital channel line-up.

So, are there any relays anywhere in the country that transmit five terrestrial channels and are not transmitting any digital ones yet? Most only transmit 4 and it's a bit difficult to find any that transmit 5.

I thought that Fenham, which relays Pontop Pike might be have been a candidate. According to the list they retransmit the 5 analogue channels at 2kW but looking in the back it's already transmitting the 6 digital muxes at a miniscule 20 Watts!

Perhaps there are none?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
This site is reasonable for info about transmitter setups:

_http://www.ukfree.tv/closedown.php

Treat some of the claims with a pinch of salt though - some of the Border south Scotland stuff was hopelessly inaccurate