Release of videoguard cam

N

noddyo1

Will the Eu's insistance that Murdoch release a videoguard cam have any impact on the ability of the hackers to break it? If anything it will allow greater competetion in the stb market, any discusions on this please.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Can you give us more details/links regarding the 'insistance'please.

Kind regards

W Hole

N

noddyo1

To answer your question would involve me looking back through old press articles,probably out of date by now, but the general drift from what I could remember was that the withholding of the cam was against european competition laws in terms of the channel providers having to use videoguard and the stb manufacturers.
It seems that for other channel providers to gain a platform to broadcast to the Uk they have to go through a digibox and be encrypted with videoguard. Obviously they could broadcast via satellite using other encryptions but would it be at 28 deg and if not think of the expense of equiping the uk with the ability to watch at other sat positions.
It seems Murdoch has weaved a tangled web within the Uk involving giving digiboxes away, witholding cam access, bribing government with his ability to modernise broadcasting,and at the same time creating a monopoly for the future.
Lets hope these people in Brussels have got what it takes!

N

noddyo1

I suppose the insistance was in regards to the witholding the cam being anti competitive and not an insistance that it be released.They can derectivate as much as they like on Jan 1 2001 but somehow I dont think it will get much response.Lets have a good informed rant about murdochs monopoly and perhaps the powers that be in government might realise that the hackers are doing the job of government in keeping these people like murdoch in the real world.
This brings me back to my question will the release of the cam make the hacking of videoguard easier. If not then why is it not released, it must be to protect a monopoly in the uk.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
So nothing new in this story then.

Shame I thought there might have been developments.

As mentioned in earlier postings that Rupert chap is just to smart for them all.

Never mind!

Regards

W Hole

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
If you turn to page 35 in nivembers ' What Satellite' magazine there is a long article about this very issue. It is the star letter .

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Wotsat November issue ?

Then its bound to be both accurate and up to date !!!!!

I suspect the thread starter has something to do with this 'brilliant' mag.

Since most of Mr Murdochs company is quite clearly offshore and outside the bounds of almost any legislation either the Uk or Europe can throw at him, there will be some delay until the VG cam is up and running in UK homes, if at all

By the way there are rumours that cards are now circulating the UK with limited capability of Sky on Astra 2 for nowt, I will let you know if something concrete comes my way

CH

N

noddyo1

Have a look at www.stealthcard.net and what it promises but dont be tempted!The barefaced cheek of some people I dunno!

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
scammy as hell
http://www.satellites.co.uk/scripts/webforum/DCForumID23/254.html
2ols