Reliable HDD for SKY+. Which one now no samsung???

glenny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY+
Sony VAIO VGN-FZ31S
My Location
Sussex
Hi there guys.

I have been trawling through forums and internet pages for hours trying to locate a HDD to replace the one in my Amstrad PVR2 SKY+ box (DX 180) which has become knackered :mad:

Clearly the one that keeps getting mentioned is the Samsung spinpoint HC250JC..
However, this model has now been discontinued, so i have to find something else which is going to be equally reliable..:eek:
I would assume it is best to stick with another Samsung if is can...In which case which one??
I see that Seagate also make good drives.
I'm only looking for one with a capacity of about 250GB
I previously tried a MAXTOR, which did not work properly, so not going there again
Please help guys as this is driving me mad............. 'O'-red

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've just bought a Seagate Spinpoint series HDD for a different PVR. These, according to their blurb, are optimised for AV applications. They run cooler, can withstand a hotter environment, support at least 10 simultaneous high-definition or standard-definition video streams, have a "soft" start up, etc...

The one I bought was a SATA type, if yours is PATA then I think you have to look for AV in the part number as I think that Pipeline is SATA only.

I'm sure other manufacturers make AV optimised disks but you would have to do your research on this.