Remote Control Inventor Dies

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Robert Adler,co- inventor of the ubiquitous remote control, has died aged 93.

An employee of the Zenith electronics company, I suppose he was either guilty of making us all lardy-arsed couch potatoes or the one who released us from the terrible inconvenience of having to actually walk over to the telly/stereo's buttons :-doh2

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/17/ap/national/mainD8NB4F880.shtml

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just been reading his Bio', seems that he invented/developed some far more important things than the remote control, but of course, the remote was the most universally known. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Before infrared was used, I had a Philips G9 TV that would change channels by itself.
The ultrasoninc circuit would be affected by jangling keys, or a squark from next doors budgie.

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Bloody menace they are. When one reaches my age you have to mark em in order to know which does what and where :confused

Marts :-rofl2

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Channel Hopper said:
Before infrared was used, I had a Philips G9 TV that would change channels by itself.
The ultrasoninc circuit would be affected by jangling keys, or a squark from next doors budgie.
My grandmother had a TV with an utrasonic remote control. My mother could make it close down every time she cleared her throat!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
My nephew had a remote control car that worked by picking up "clicks" fron the remote (or whatever made a clicking noise) to switch between Forwards and Reverse...

I always wondered who came up with that idea, and now I know!!! What a stupid idea!!! :-rofl2

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I was always curious about those ultrasound remotes - partly because the sender looked like a larger electret condenser microphone without black gauze. Plus the usual, playing around with wall reflections, obstructions, etc. Whatever: never liked them.

OT: its was only when I bought a digital camera that I realised how boring Infrared remotes were too, LOL.

If it wasn't for the licensing nightmare of new technologies - I am sure remotes would be Bluetooth/WiFi these days. But, HARK!!

That being the case, surely we are back in the 'sound' spectrum again ?? ??? ............

RIP Mr Adler ;-))