remote control problem

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
It seems that my kids dropped the remote of the 5620 once too often. Now it will only work if I sort of distort it at the front. So it seems that there is some sort of broken connection somewhere. i want to take it apart to have a look, but I can't find any screws. Before I get violent with it, does anyone have experience with opening the remote? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Never even seen a remote for a DB T_G but I have opened many remotes in my time. There could be one central screw which has a star head like a sky remote but the hole will be quite visable. Often the screw heads are covered by rubber pads, another trick is to put the screw/s in the battery compartment and again sometimes under a label. Apart from that there is google and this one is an obvious site
http://www.replacementremotes.com/store/index.cfm
Obviously someone may also have bought a replacement for a Dreambox and perhaps they will post here

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Thin screwdriver head, insert and twist gently.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mhku said:
Thin screwdriver head, insert and twist gently.

What no screws:eek::eek:

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
500 remote has no screws. Can't find my other remote.

If it had screws I don't think this thread would be here....

:p

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
mhku said:
If it had screws I don't think this thread would be here....:p

Thank you MHKU for recognising that I am not a complete idiot :)

The thin screwdriver thing is what I would normally do, the problem with this method is that usually you end up breaking some small plastic hooks or latches that hold the thing together. Then after you fixed it it will not close as it should, and you end up taping it ot using glue. If it were any other device, I would not be too concerned but here you are talking about my dreambox remote, man! I got this thing in my hand more often than my own d**k!:p
This is the reason I asked, I thought maybe someone opened one up already and would be able to tell me where the hooks are and what to look out for.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mhku said:
500 remote has no screws. Can't find my other remote.

If it had screws I don't think this thread would be here....

:p
With all due respect to both of you of all the remotes I have ever had in my hand and taken to bits I have not yet had one that does not have a screw or screws. Most recent ones have had one screw and plastic latches as well, however even that combination still requires extreme care not to break the latches off. The only complete idiots are the ones that design this couch potato equipment and do not factor into the design the fact that liquids will be spilt on them the dog will chew them etc thus necessitating the opening on the odd occasion.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It's a throwaway society, less and less people know how to repair stuff. Our fathers and grandfathers knew how to fix electrical stuff, change a bicycle tyre, change the gasket on the motor and so on. The new generation knows how to download from the internet so they can buy a new remote. And anyway, most of the electrical stuff nowadys is made of one big processor and a few tiny components, even if you wanted to fix it you have no chance...
So the manufacturers only look at producing the part in the most efficient manner, and therefore clicking two plastic shells together is cheaper than having to bolt it.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Suppose at the this point I've got to say you are right. Sad innit! ;)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I often bitch about manufacturers doing this sort of stuff, but on the other hand things are also getting cheaper and affordable for normal people. If you think about it, a dreambox, a 1.2 meter dish and diseqck motor 15, 20 years ago would have cost you an arm and a leg, now they are relatively cheap, and in case of the dreambox also extremely sturdy. Since they introduced the two year mandatory warranty period in Europe it improved things further. But it does not mean there is a lot of cheap junk about.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Did you fix it?

I have not yet had one that does not have a screw or screws

Remotes that I have:

with screws = 3 (Panasonic, Electrocompaniet, Eastsound)

without screws = 9 (Toshiba, Marantz (x2), Dreambox (x2), Pioneer, Denon, Microsoft, Sony)

The use of screws seems to reflect the cost of the product.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No, not yet. I might give it a go during the weeken. In the meantime we learned how to distort it so works. I can say that already now the flipping response time is almost as good as before. Homo Sapiens, a truely adaptable species I say!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Right, I went ahead and gutted the remote. Pictures and details in the Idiot Guide