Repairer for Hyundai HSS-800ci ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Dec-01 AT 09:38 AM (GMT)]Anyone know of a repairer for this receiver, it would appear that the tuner has gone, no signal at all showing, Lnb power working, although appears to be 19 volts on both polarities, loop through to my other receiver provides a signal. If anyone knows of someone please let me know, Peferrably one in the SE.

Thanks

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Can you get the numbers off the tuner (both top and rear)

I may have be able to get a spare

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Dec-01 AT 05:35 PM (GMT)]Thanks CH, as a matter of interest,as I'm not particularly well versed in the internal operations, does it appear that my diagnosis is correct?

I can only seem to spot one number without removing the module Its a Samsung the numbers on top read TBMU303 (there are another five figures which are practically impossible to read) 9900525 GAAB, can't see any other numbers without removing the module.

On the reverse of the receiver there is a sticker with a date and a version number from HIsat, but it doesn't say whether it's september this year or last, if it's this year it may still be covered and I'm checking to se if this is the case.

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Dec-01 AT 11:21 AM (GMT)]Wow, talk about a relief, looked at the Hisat site and saw that there were software upgrades, so I downloaded them and purchased a Nul Modem cable. When examining the readme file it stated that there were two versions enclosed and only one of the two would work with any given tuner and it was suck it and see, so I took pot luck and bingo. :)
Don't know whether the old one had become corrupted, or that the wrong one had been uploaded, but who cares. Certainly saved a lot of time and energy.

Thanks for the offer of the tuner CH.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Strange that this would cure a dead tuner, I think the tuner had a bit of a rest when you shut the thing down and it'll go again.

Firmware upgrades would alter the charge pump current for higher frequency reception but not much else.

Are you sure the original receiver LO was not already offset by you to mimic the LNB used (it may have just drifted outside the 4MHz capture range ) and resetting the receiver parameters brought it back into line ?

Can you get the tuner numbers off the canister in full (a photo might help). Most important ones are the numbers you could not read after the 303 - but thats always the case

I can then be sure I can supply if it needs one after all.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-02 AT 05:05 PM (GMT)]Unfortunately they are totally unreadable, to the degree that I have difficulty decyphering whether they are numbers or letters.

Apparently there are two versions of the software and one will always be wrong. The guy that sold the receiver had upgraded the software before selling and I don't reckon he'd tested it.
Below is a readme file that came with the files and is the reason that i gave it a go.

the difference depends on the Tuner in your receiver
it's not possible to see which tuner you have without
opening the receiver
so try one of the files if all is well that's it
if the tuner doesn't work - then simply load the other file

to load these files you will also need "flash.exe" available on the same page

Rolf

PS. No allowance on PC card for LO variation, was using the exact downloaded frequencies.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Curiouser and Curiouser

The receiver did work for a while out of the box ?

Doesent the 800 have a LO adjustment in the LNB set up menu ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No it didn't work at all, first off I thought that it may have been the DiseqC switching, so I took the switch out of line, but to no avail.

I'd checked the LNB local oscillator settings and tried adjusting them up and down to try and gain a signal bar, but the LNB voltages were also wrong.

Had perfect continuous use now for several days.

Rolf