Replacement for Monterey 20

benhg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
old motorised kit
My Location
Surrey
Hi All, I've just moved into a house with an old motorised system. It's a Chaparell Monterey 20 receiver which sits in the loft, a UHF remote that communicates with it, and a huge, huge motorised dish. I'm new to this and don't know precisely how a DiSCeQ system works so can I simply connect a new receiver to the dish and expect it to work with the old dish? Is there a receiver that I can install in the loft like the old one?

I'm looking for a very versatile receiver which I'll upload with keys once I've figured out how from this forum. I'd also like to watch UK digital channels which I believe I can do via a card from sky (unless you advise otherwise). Any recomendations? Preferably not a Fortec, a friend has one and it's painfully slow to change channels.

Thanks for any advice.
Ben

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It wont be a disecq motor on something that old. You will probably find its a 36V system

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just replace the Monterey with a V-Box, then run a cable from your new receiver. You will find that any receiver is slow changing channels when it has to drive the motor between changes. :)

benhg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
old motorised kit
My Location
Surrey
OK, I get it, the v-box converts the DiSCeQ signal into 36v that powers the old dish. Coupled to a new receiver it should automatically hop from one satellite to the next. I presume the remote that comes with it is just if you need to move the dish manually for whatever reason.

Given that I'll stilll be using the old dish, is it likely that I'll need to replace the LNB?

Thanks for the help, it's been great, and given me a new option that I didn't know existed!

By the way, the Fortec is a fixed system and isn't hopping satellites. It's just very slow at changing channels, maybe 1 second each time. It takes forever if you're just skipping through the channels. My old Pace MS500 changed them in a flash by comparison.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may well need to change the LNB, can you get us some details and perhaps a digital photo?