Replacing an LNB

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I currently have an MTI Blueline 0.6db LNB on my system pointing at 1 West.

I have tried tweaking it a few times in order to obtain maximum signal strength on the Kiosk channels and am getting approx 78% strength and 85% signal quality. However when it rains I lose these channels or they break up.

I was thinking of getting an invacom 0.3db universal single LNB with Lo 9.75/10.6 GHz.........

Can anyone advise if this will help or am I wasting my time and money.......

Many thanks

benny

Reaction score
Hi,
Changing your lnb will slightly increase your signal strength but only by 0.3db (The Difference between your old lnb and your new one).This may only equate to a 1%-2% gain. Check dish alignment first.You may need to go up a dish size.

Others may have tried this and have had some success.But as a rule dish size is the best solution.

benny

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Could be the dish is not working well with th eLNB

Without names of the makes, its not easy to determine if the LNB is at fault, or the clamp and feed illumination of the dish is giving trouble.

Then again if everything is working well, Bennys advice on getting a larger dish cannot be ignored.

Razor should know what breaks down when working in the snake free areas

benny

Reaction score
Hello,
Dont forget that certain dishes have certain gain values and some lnb's work better at certain frequencies than others.It does get complicated if you wish to go down that road.But the best way i think is to get the calculator out and do some maths.

At the moment your 1m dish has a surface area of 7850cm squared
But a 1.2m dish has a surface area of 11304cm squared.

By going up a dish size you are collecting 44% more signal.
A dish is only a reflector at the end of the day.

Even with the fact that certain dishes have slightly better gain that others there is not 44% between them so really you can't lose.
There is more to it but try to keep it easy.

Most of the time firms sell expensive lnb's with a lower db gain to people who are limited to the size of their dish.Usually this is the wife that puts the blockers on jodrall bank going up in the back yard.

Hope this helps.

Others may be able to help you out with the best dish for your needs according to your location.

benny

Hope this helps

K

kalamar

Check/shorten coax to mininum new connectors,lnb skew,check focal point too. I have 110 cm on very strong sat 100% X 100% and still lose it in a good rain.