Replacing CPU Cooler

kyliesat

Reaction score
I've built my P4 2.8Ghz myself, but am getting fed up of the noisy CPU cooler. Only I'm unsure of a few things.

1. Does the cooler come away from the CPU easily once the latches are undone or does it stick to the cpu.

2. Do I need to scrape any silicone etc off the CPU or can I just apply a new layer on top. Not that I actually used any extra, just the pre applied amount on the cooler.

Regards

Kyliesat

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've only swapped out one, but managed to wipe off the original bonding.

J

Jeff_19341

HI

I've (fingers crossed) never had any problems with the heat sink sticking to the CPU once the clips have been released.
I do use silver thermal compound when I re-assemble though, better heat transfer. Only a few quid (£'s) a small tube from that well know high street/web site components store.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If you used the stuff that came in a retail boxed CPU and heatsink then it might be quite sticky, depending on how old it is and what type it was. It shouldn't be stuck firmly, but you might have problems getting every last bit off the CPU.

If you search in google there are guides of how to clean it and what to use (cotton buds and some cleaning stuff if things are bad).

Yes, using a good thermal compound is important, Artic Silver is generally considered to be the best, but the chip has to be completely clean and it needs to be applied properly (not too think) for the best results, again look in google for guides.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just a point. SOmetimes there are cooler fans on the main board, as well as on the video daughter board. Check first these are not the culprits before replacing.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Also, if your heatsink is 6cm you can get a 6cm to 8cm adapter, put that on the heatsink (after taking the noisy fan off) and then mount a quieter 8cm fan on that. You need quite a bit of space to fit that in, but it's quite simple and cheap, and effective. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Check your psu fan too - Ive found these can get noisy when either the bearings wear or dust sticks to the fan blades, although this is normally only after several years continuous use..

kyliesat

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'm reluctant to mess with the processor unless I have to, so I have ordered a fanmate to see if reducing the speed will help. I have to replace the PSU soon as my pc freezes when I plug in to many hard drives. Ive currently got around this by using an seperate power source, so hopefully these measures combined will lessen the noise.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If you are unsure about changing the insides of your PC then I'd recommend changing the PSU before attempting the heatsink. Intel heatsinks aren't that bad but some of the AMD Athlon ones aren't for the faint hearted.

Is the separate power source another PC PSU or something else?

Also watch the CPU heat when you start slowing down the fan :)

kyliesat

Reaction score
Thanks for that. The seperate supply is one made for using an exrnal drive via USB. I have tried the fan controller, was waste of time lol. The speed changed on the bios but had no effect on the fan itself. Guess I'll just have to put up with it for now O-no