Replacing LNB (Newbie Q)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox, Zone 1 Dish.
My Location
Near Colchester
!Newbie Alert!

Ello All,

I have a Zone 1 Dish which was installed about a year ago by a Sky Contractor, it has a Thompson single LNB.

I have the necessary bits, Quad, Cable, F Connectors to replace this in order to connect up a PVR when the BBC Freesat recievers go on sale - I'm going to do it myself as I have all the bits

The only questions I can't find an answer for is regarding the skew of the LNB (hope thats the correct term) in East Anglia (Near Colchester) what would this be set to and the other Q it has a cover which can slide down over the connectors - is is advisible to still waterproof the connections?

Thanks

dasteelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
1) I would still waterproof using tape

2) I would personly adjust the skew of the lnb as you see fit. Someone will probably give you the correct settings of the skew, but it would be very easy to mess with it yourself and see which optimimum signal you get :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it is a Sky minidish quad LNB, then the skew is preset within a small adjustable range, trial and error will do it, move to one side and check the quality on the digibox, then progressively move it across to find the best spot.

If you want to make sure that the connections are moisture proof, you can just smear some vaseline around the plug, top and bottom. :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Astra 2 is so strong that it wouldn't matter too much what setting you set the skew on but for being accurate, you want to set it to position 3.

You can just slide the cover down but I always put self - algamating tape on the F connectors to be sure.

Hope this helps:)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Near Colchester
Thanks for the help,

One last q though which I've thought of after looking out the window at the dish (and at the neighbours dish), the new LNB has the plastic thing to hold it to the dish, will this be set to the focal point of the dish?

My dish only has a very short arm (if this is the correct term!) compared with others nearby!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The plastic LNB holder is a universal item that should come supplied with the Quad. It's used to fit the LNB to different types of zone 1 sky dishes.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Make sure you move the dish angle up slightly to compensate for the weight of the quad lnb :eek:

The weight of the lnb has a tendency to pull the arm down a little more than the single lnb does.

If the dishes elevation is set up badly it could make the difference between you getting a signal or not getting one.

Make sure you mark the dish first before you do anything so you have a reference point to go back to if anything goes wrong :mad:

:-beer

Nano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Near Colchester
Thanks all for the info.
I replaced the LNB today no fuss and managed to re-route the cable through the loft in the process

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
Well done, pretty easy ay! :)