Replica ADL C-Band Linear Polarity Feed

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
In connection with some signal scans of 38.0 East in C-Band I decided to get a couple of fake ADL linear polarity C-Band feeds fabricated. One feed was for a genuine ADL WR229 single port flange with a Norsat 3120 PLL LNB, the other feed was for a Titanium WiMax LNBF. I used the dimensions from a genuine ADL circular polarity C-Band pipe as the basis for the fake linear feed pipes.

I bought some aluminium round tube from eBay and went to see a man with a lathe. The finished items have a good quality look and feel to them but initial tests suggest this project might be another wad spunker, more cash thrown at another useless satellite brain fart.

I have attached some pictures below. The pictures might be the best thing from the project, the scan results with the Titanium LNBF dont look good. Anyone wanna buy a fake ADL pipe?

Attachments

• p01 - Aluminium Round Tube.jpg
    p01 - Aluminium Round Tube.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 18
  • p02 - After Machining.jpg
    p02 - After Machining.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 19
  • p03 - ADL WR229 Flange Depth Step.jpg
    p03 - ADL WR229 Flange Depth Step.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 19
  • p04 - Titanium LNBF Depth Step.jpg
    p04 - Titanium LNBF Depth Step.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 19
  • p05 - WR229 Flange Parts.jpg
    p05 - WR229 Flange Parts.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 19
  • p06 - WR229 Flange Setup.jpg
    p06 - WR229 Flange Setup.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 18
  • p07 - Titanium Setup.jpg
    p07 - Titanium Setup.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 18
  • p08 - Laser Feed Alignment.jpg
    p08 - Laser Feed Alignment.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 18
  • p09 - Laser Feed Alignment.jpg
    p09 - Laser Feed Alignment.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 18
  • p10 - The Precision 2.0m Green Lad.jpg
    p10 - The Precision 2.0m Green Lad.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
... these things have to be tried MB to put the results into the WWW database of knowledge - - having a spot of bother with the technical results descriptions as Wikipedia does not list them so seems to be in need of updating :D

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
... these things have to be tried MB to put the results into the WWW database of knowledge - - having a spot of bother with the technical results descriptions as Wikipedia does not list them so seems to be in need of updating :D

Aye, that's for sure John, "if you not in, you can't win".

I forgot to include in my original post the importance of the feed alignment. With the feed pipe simply clamped in the holder and without any adjustment I was getting 7.9 dB for 4029 H on 38.0 East. The laser dot in this instance was about 5mm outside of the white plastic plug at the centre of the dish.

After centering the laser dot in the white plastic plug the signal level jumped from 7.9 dB to 8.9 dB, a gain of 1.0 dB for what was quite a small adjustment to the pipe aim. Here in the UK, the 38.0 East satellite seems to be sensitive to any minor changes concerned with alignment.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Aye, that's for sure John, "if you not in, you can't win".

I forgot to include in my original post the importance of the feed alignment. With the feed pipe simply clamped in the holder and without any adjustment I was getting 7.9 dB for 4029 H on 38.0 East. The laser dot in this instance was about 5mm outside of the white plastic plug at the centre of the dish.

After centering the laser dot in the white plastic plug the signal level jumped from 7.9 dB to 8.9 dB, a gain of 1.0 dB for what was quite a small adjustment to the pipe aim. Here in the UK, the 38.0 East satellite seems to be sensitive to any minor changes concerned with alignment.

.. Yep, a big fan of accurate feed aiming alignment and also correct positioning of the scalar ring to ensure correct illumination