Retaining stored "Other Channels" on Sky+

doverrog

Reaction score
My Location
Maidstone
Hi. I've sold my Echostar receiver and now have just SKY+ (one of the first ones, before the facelift and with the smaller hard disc).
However I do have my dish with feed from three LNBs. 1 for 28deg, 1 for 19deg and 1 for 13deg.
Because SKY+ doesn't support disecq, I'm feeding the box via a manual A/B switch.
The problem is that I can store into "Other Channels" OK but after a while the SKY+ box "forgets" all the "Other Channels" I've stored.
I've spoken to both Pace and Sky and both say they've not heard of the problem before.
I wonder if it's something in the software that SKY have incorporated to make sure that the box only retains channels from 28deg.
The mystery is that it stores and retains them for several days and then they just disappear!
Anyone out there know why, or suffered the same problem?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A common and well known problem, Sky will always plead ignorance of any software problem, even when it involves the service from 28.2E.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
None that we know of. Just get your button pushing fingers into shape for the constant re-entering that you're going to have to do if you insist on using the digibox to view satellites other than 28E.

PaulR

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Also, if you store less than 30 or so channels they seem to disappear less often :)

doverrog

Reaction score
My Location
Maidstone
Thanks for the info. everyone. Looks like it's just something to have to put up with is I'm going to try and just use the SKY+ box!
Out of general interest though, does the same thing happen on the newer "facelift" and SKY 180 + boxes? And what about the standard Sky boxes, do they do the same?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Standard $ly boxes - absolutely; others not sure.

PaulR

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes standard boxes periodically wipe you added channels for no apparent reason. And its bloody annoying!

doverrog

Reaction score
My Location
Maidstone
I'm pleased to see that the new "What Satellite and Digital TV" magazine is featuring a letter which raises the disappearing channels problem.
Apparantly they reckon it could be either the Sky use the memory space for software updates or that the boxes periodicaly look for signals from 28deg and delete any they don't find from that position.
The mag reckons the first reason is most likely, however I can't see why as surely channels would only disappear when an update is being run?
I subscribe (good pun) to the idea that Sky don't like the idea of losing control over their viewers and ensure that SKY boxes stay tuned only to 28deg!
Has anyone at SKY ever been pressed to admit to this I wonder?

doverrog

Reaction score
My Location
Maidstone
I e-mailed SKY and I"m pleased to say that about 8 hours later someone from Technical Support who knew what he was takling about, rang me.
As was suggested in "What Sat." Sky confirm that they use the memory used for storing "Other Channels" as somewhere to carry out software amendments. This means that when the software reloads it clears that memory sector.
It's been happening more often recently due to work being done and will happen within the next couple of months up to rhe new software release.
So we're stuck with always having to re-enter!
I asked him about the forthcoming HD boxes and if the same would be true of them. The answer was "not sure but in order to keep costs down for the standard customer, the more advanced features may not be included"
The only good news was that for once I got someone at SKY who talked sense instead of stock answers from a computer screen.