right lancelot let's put this to bed

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
current setup see below,
1w okay
28.2E tilt dish back for better reception
30W tilt dish back for better reception (not quite on it with arc, but i know where it is

which do i adjust (A or :cool:(ive got all afternoon)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
update: all 3 on arc
1w tilt forward for better reception
30W tilt dish back for better reception

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
I usually go for 5w 1st. Have motor set to 1deg east. Dish Bracket loose on motor and when get the best signal for 5w, tighten clamp around motor. Usuall take my time in getting this right as the rest are usually follow ok. So spend time getting in 5w 1st. Im in Ireland though.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
john, i go for 1w first (no problem) all i'm doing is trying to really really fine tune to the best i can get, by using 28e,1w,30w as reference points,
i'm following the arc already

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
bronking said:
john, i go for 1w first (no problem) all i'm doing is trying to really really fine tune to the best i can get, by using 28e,1w,30w as reference points,
i'm following the arc already
"i'm nearly following the arc" ;)

Too much declination, add a little A1 - adjust B4 to give best 1W again, check 28e & 30w to see if improved. Small steps, very easy to go too far :D

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
johnsattuk said:
"i'm nearly following the arc" ;)

Too much declination, add a little A1 - adjust B4 to give best 1W again, check 28e & 30w to see if improved. Small steps, very easy to go too far :D

add a little a1 ie tilt motor forward
adjust B4 ie tilt dish back

correct?

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
bronking said:
add a little a1 ie tilt motor forward
adjust B4 ie tilt dish back

correct?

yes - have added chart to my post :D

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
this is where i start getting confused(granted it dosn't take much)
as i alter motor forward (listening to the signal- it starts to get better-because the dish is tilting forward) so then pulling dish back with bracket it get's worse, then spin round to 30w no sig.
so do i adjust motor forward until signal peeks, then tweak further, lock it, then pull dish back via bracket for optimum sig

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
bronking said:
update: all 3 on arc
1w tilt forward for better reception
30W tilt dish back for better reception

These results suggest (ref the chart) that there is too much declination, so you need to reduce it, ie. B4, this will tilt the dish back and put 1W out more than it was, so will need to add A1 to bring dish back to correct 1W.

How much depends on how much you are having to tilt the dish, which is a bit subjective, so its best to go a bit at a time, since the adjustments interact with one another. One of those things that are perhaps more art than science. :D

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
while i go running up the ladder, give this a thought
is it possible that with setup i have (especially the home made u bend) that the varialbles will never allow me to completly follow the arc bang on, i know everything is square, level etc(i checked everthing more than once)
could this distance (x)have any effect, as i say i can pick up 28E,1W,30W, but seem to struggle to get them spot at the same time ? or am i being to much of a perfectionist

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Well I hope you have loads of patience and energy running up and down that ladder. You usually find the sat to you 1st. Ie 5w for Dublin. Think its the same for yourself. When I first started out I done 1w first and had the same problems as youeself. Have done 7 since and have fined tuned 5w 1st & never really problems finding the rest from 30w to 45e.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
bronking said:
while i go running up the ladder, give this a thought
is it possible that with setup i have (especially the home made u bend) that the varialbles will never allow me to completly follow the arc bang on, i know everything is square, level etc(i checked everthing more than once)
could this distance (x)have any effect, as i say i can pick up 28E,1W,30W, but seem to struggle to get them spot at the same time ? or am i being to much of a perfectionist
The requirements for following the 'arc' are very simple, ie. the motor axis must be at the correct angle and must face south. It will then track the 'arc'

In order to 'see' the satelites, the dish must then be mounted so that it aligns with the motor shaft (shaft and motor both looking south at their zenith) and 'looks' (dish look angle) at the right radius ie. 'the clarke belt'. It will then track the satelites.

The snags arise because it is quite difficult to acheive the accuracy required, especially in the air, up a ladder, also in order to acheive this accuracy, we tend to use the sat.signal to align the dish, which is OK and will with perseverance, acheive the result we require. One snag is that the adjustments tend to interact with one another, also signals are variable and care has to be taken to decide whether any adjustments are an improvement, not that easy, with the relatively simple equipment that most of us have available. It is best to look for the max sig. at each position on the arc, (flexing dish up/down - side to side) rather than a specific figure.

The difference that your complex bracketry will make, is that it is a bit more difficult to be sure that the dish is in line with the motor shaft, with perhaps a bit more spring and give due to the o/hang and increased wind load. Once you acheive a correct tracking and every thing is bolted up tight, the shape of the intervening brackets 'U' bolts etc have no effect, since everything moves together in unison about the motor axis.

It is much easier to talk about than do, but it is doable, it is important to try and see it in simple terms, and not complicate it with too much theory, as do some of the web sites.

I have often been accused of being a perfectionist, I quite like it, don't see it as a fault. O-Ha

I am at the moment designing a new mount for my dishes, with very little o/hang on the motor, the weight of the dish being taken on a seperate bearing on the C of G of the ass. this reduces the motor load iether side of zenith and also wind loading on the motor :D

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
send us one:D
seriously i think i might look at getting it closer to motor pole, with new sort of connection/bracketry, that will be sturdier (less or no spring) in the mean time play with what i've got,

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I got a lot of spring on my setup as the pole is a bit on the thin side, but still I got all the sats.
I think you should try to do the following: Set it up on 1 west as before on a "base" setting, and then change the motor angle a little bit forward and then compensate with the dish angle. See where that gets you, and then do the same exactly the opposite, i.e motor backward from the "base" setting and compensate with the dish angle. You should then have a clear picture of what is going on. If you think the "U" bracket is flexing just weld a thin straight rod in between and there won't be flexing at all.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Morining mate :)

I thought I had it nailed down in post 32 HERE.
Johnsat has spotted it as well as T_G, you are in excellent hands.
Let's see how exact you can get it :D

L.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would invest in a set of 24" T&K brackets and a short length of 2" steel mast, would make the whole job so much easier, in fact you would have had it aced a long time ago. :)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
rolfw said:
I would invest in a set of 24" T&K brackets and a short length of 2" steel mast, would make the whole job so much easier, in fact you would have had it aced a long time ago. :)

i would have aced it along time ago if the bl'O'-red 'O'-reddy manual would have been right:)

on the good side, being as probly half of my post have been about setting up, i suppose without manual i wouldn't have been put in the 400 club as i've just noticed:)