Rolfw - Zone 2 minidish on a motor?

althetaff

Reaction score
Hi Rolfw,
I spotted this thread which you mentioned a setup with a zone 2 minidish.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/archive/index.php/t-3520

How much success did you have with a zone 2 minidish on a motor.
I am limited because of my line of site. (28.2 to 1 w limits really)

I currently have a minidish 28.2 and 60cm/0.3db 1w on the front and an 80cm 30w/0.6db at the back.

I'd like to replace the 60cm front with a zone 2 on a small diseqc motor and basicaly get 19e, 13e as well as 1w. Have you achieved this.

I've been very happy with my setup but with the upcoming Rugby tours also being shown on 13e I'd like to add this to the mix without increasing dish size anywhere.

I currently popup a temp dish (zone2) for one off occasions but the rugby will continue for a couple of weeks :)

cheers
al

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
althetaff said:
Hi Rolfw,
I'd like to replace the 60cm front with a zone 2 on a small diseqc motor and basicaly get 19e, 13e as well as 1w. Have you achieved this.

cheers
al

Yes Al, worked well, was using it with a SS2 PC card on a Moteck SG-2100 and produced excellent results.

You need to doctor the LNB slightly if it is anything other than a Skyware, as they have a built in Skew and you need zero skew.

althetaff

Reaction score
Cheers Rolfw :)
I do indeed have a 0.6db skyware and also a 0.3db goldstar at my disposal.

I'll pop onto to ebay then for a cheap motor :)

al

spikey

Reaction score
Hi rolfw I am new to all this stuff was thinking of useing a "zone 2 dish" to. If i have a zone 2 dish with the sky lnb on it i take it i can use it. All I need to get is a motor and a reciver or will i need a new lnb ??? sorry if this is a silly Q.

any help will be great

Spikeyuk

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depends on which LNB it is, some can be doctored to achieve 0 skew, but some cannot. You also need to get a couple of big U bolts, as the standard ones are too small for the motor armature.

spikey

Reaction score
thanks for info I will be putting up dish this weekend so I will let you Know how is goes sould be fun hehehehe......................... :)

spikey

Reaction score
can any one please send me a pic of there setup with the minidish zone 2 and useing a motor just trying to get my head around it :)

spikey

Reaction score
ok today i went out in the cold and started to install my dish here a pic of the the setup so far now i just got to get this 0 sqew with the lnb can any one give me a bit of help with that or can someone please upload a pic of a moded skyware lnb please

thanks

SPIKEY

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hi Spikey.

Sorry, cant really see the LNB fixing very well in the pic, so can't advise on HOW to rotate it (you'll either have to find an adjustment, or mod it by removing whatever is fixing it in position, and then finding another way of re-fixing it after you've twisted it).

Looking from the FRONT of the dish (i.e. with the LNB arm pointing towards you), you will need to twist the whole LNB body about 20 degrees ANTICLOCKWISE.

Once you've done this and re-fixed it, you may then get minor improvements by rotating a degree ortwo either way.

Make sure your mounting pole is EXACTLY vertical in both planes before you start playing 'find the satellite' with your motor.

Good luck. Looks good. :)

STICK

spikey

Reaction score
"Depends on which LNB it is, some can be doctored to achieve 0 skew,"

can any please help me i need to doctorer my skyware lnb i think i got 0 skew have anyonegot any pic of there doctored lnb i am get about 84% on hotbird but astra i get about 70% but all the rest i cant get upbove 50ish grrr... is this becuse of lnb skew or dirction / angel of dish i got a sat beeper which kind of help but still no channel i and useing a dreambox 7000s with hydue image on it :)