Romanian TV - Help Please.

al pal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kaon KSC 570H PVR, Triax TD88 REX Single 0.3db LNB, SM3D12 DiseqC Motor, Digifusion FVRT100 Freeview Dual PVR, Cambridge Audio DVD57, Sony STR-DB930, Mirage AVS-500/ FRX-S8, Toshiba 36ZP18P.
My Location
Scotland M8 Corridor
Hi,

I am new to this forum and not sure if this is the correct place to ask. Please move to the correct place if not.

We live in just outside Edinburgh. My fiancée is Romanian and we would like to be able to watch Romanian TV.
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Romania.html suggests these channels can be recieved free if we have the correct receiving equipment.
With all these channels spread across a number of satellites, would we need a motorised dish? What primary direction (wall) would the dish need to face to allow me full coverage.
How would we handle all the CAM/Card options required? If have been looking through the options and like the look of the DreamBox or Triple Dragon. I work in IT so this type of machine dows not concern me.

Would all the channels shown at the above link be available free or would we need to subscribe to some services?

Sorry for all the questions but I am new to satellite TV and with all the different cards, cams etc it appears very complicated to get the right thing.

Thanks in advance

Al Pal

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
al pal
and :-Welcome1 to the forum

In general you would need a wall south facing to give you that spread of satellites, with no obstructions i.e. no trees other houses close by etc. (It is however difficult to say without seeing what you have available which is why site visits are made by installers before committing) The Clarke belt is roughly described in the sky with true south the highest point of the curve. The picture gives you an idea of the curve and may help, if you decide on a DIY job. As you state they appear to be FTA channels so you could really do this very cheaply if you wished. I suspect though that you may wish more of a challenge and may wish to go for the TD or DB especially if you are familiar with Linux and have a desire to view other channels. Others on the forum will be better at advising you of a more exact specification regarding dish, mounts and motors etc. There are plenty of people to help and advise.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
In Scotland the Amos channels will be hard to get - with anything on Amos1 just about impossible due to tight transmission footprints into the Mediterranean area. You should get the Half dozen Sirius channels easily enough with an 80cm dish. Im just down the A7 from you and dont have any problems getting them on a scruffy old 80 dish.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres a couple of Romanian pay services running now. If you have contacts in Romania, you could get the appripriate card sourced out there and supply the equipment yourself.

al pal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kaon KSC 570H PVR, Triax TD88 REX Single 0.3db LNB, SM3D12 DiseqC Motor, Digifusion FVRT100 Freeview Dual PVR, Cambridge Audio DVD57, Sony STR-DB930, Mirage AVS-500/ FRX-S8, Toshiba 36ZP18P.
My Location
Scotland M8 Corridor
Analoguesat and Toppervte33h.

Thanks for the info. Been doing some surfing &.....

I think I have decided on a System but would like a technical opinion.

I would like the system to be as easy to operate as possible mostly so my Fiancee can use it and second as I am new to this. I would like to have got a DB and TD but cannot justify the cost just now vs. functions for a beginner.

Creative Satelitte UK ( h**p://www.creativesatellite.co.uk ) appear to have a good price on The Fortec Star Ultimate @ £170 plus vat which I beleive is easy to patch and Fortec Star have good reviews. This appears to offer all I want for now including PVR, EPG, Blind Search, etc so I can record up to 2 programs as long as they are on the same satellite (I guess). I am a Home Cinema nut but not really sure of the picture and sound quality. I currently have a Fusion FVRT100 Freeview PVR and up to now quite impressed.

They also have 80cm Dish + Wall Mount Moteck Digipower SG 2100 DiseqC 1.2 Motor Fortec Star 0.4 dB Digital Universal LNB 10mt Full Installation Kit for £97 plus vat and I was going to upgrade the LMB to MTI Blue 0.3bd or Unifit 0.3db (£10). Will this be suitable for most of the Romanian Channels (not worried about atmos) and other FTA?

The only think I am not sure of is if this Motor will give me support for USALS? Would this be a better option with the blind search options of this receiver?

What do you think for £320 plus delivery this appears good value and should keep me quiet for a while.

Please remember I am a complete novice but like reseaching on the web but may have got it all wrong!

Thanks in advance.

Al Pal.