Rome & Only Rome (Dish Size needed Urgently), Please Help

enschede

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've decided to start a new thread because i wasn't getting a clear picture on what dish size is needed for ROME!!!!!!!

I don't wanna know about Mordena ,Milan,Venice, Ovieto. I jsut need to know if anyone can recieve BBC ?ITV in or around the ROME area?

Any help from people living around ROME would be appreciated...

Thank

athoni

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I also live in Rome,and am told by my satellite man that they have tested a 3m dish with no success. You'd certainly need planning permission for anything larger!
Let's hope for some better news soon.
Athoni

campax

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I live in Rome, I'm Italian, I love UK and BBC.

In my opinion, 3 meters dish is too much for 99.99% of us...

Too much expensive, too much large.

The only thing we can do is to write to BBC.

I'd be happy to pay to have BBC (not BBCPrime, I'm speaking about BBC).

But what I cannot really understand is why they will put out radio.

In Italy, by satellite, it is possible to hear radios from all over the world but UK.

In this moment, on the internet, I'm listening to Capital FM, a very good radio based in London...

So, I think the only thing we can do is to put presure on BBC, to speak about seven meters dishes can be funny... but useless

I speak english very bad, I know, let me improve it!!!

:-)

danilo

anthonyr

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a 1.5 Mtr dish and it does not work. I have been following the other thread on BBC being broadcast on 2A. It will be there until at least 14th July and possibly longer. If I get it to work I'll post (copy) the solution to this thread

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I have only one report from the south side of rome and that required a commercial Specification dish from Patriot 3.8 mtr with specific ADI feed horn with Polorotor control. For very accurate control of the skew this is essential.

This creates other difficulties - a normal digibox can not control the operation of the lnb or polorotor.

It works with 100 % success apparently - please note that the dish is at a secured location.

Possible yes but not simple and requires a substantial amount of money and space.

regards

Old Satellite

enschede

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thanks everyone for your replys.
A least we can keep this thread fixed around the Rome area.

Athoni are you sure about the 3m dish.....?

anthonyr

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
In case you haven't been following the other forums this 'hack' definitely works in Rome for as long as BBC keeps transmitting on 2A (I have read reports that they will stop this weekend, 14th July or never - who knows). Anyway this method (not my own) will give you all the channels you want though you have to see them through the 'other channels' menu...

--------------------------------------
Heres what I did. Don't question the method.

Go to OTHER CHANNELS and delete all entries
Then go to SERVICES,4, 0 , 1 & Enter (this is a hidden menu to change the transponder). Go to Default Transponder and change it as follows - 10.773H / 27.5 / 2/3 (which is a non existant ref to confuse the box) Scroll down and SAVE.

Unplug mains from box at box end (wait a bit)
Re-plug mains to box at box end (wait a bit)
(press out of standby) and go to SERVICES
Select ADD CHANNELS

For FTV folks, these transponders will bring up the basics. (all are 27.5 - 2/3)

BBC - 11720 H
Four - 12.168 V
Five - 12.110 H
BBC Radio - 11.798 H
QVC - 12.032 H
TCM - 12.051 V
SKY NEWS - 12.207 V (add SNT2 for fun - News active screens :-)

when you enter the freqency etc for any transponder you will see a list of channels select with the yellow button

----------------------------------------------------------------------

See the GOT BBC BACK forum if you want to read other versions of this....

athoni

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by enschede
thanks everyone for your replys.
A least we can keep this thread fixed around the Rome area.

Athoni are you sure about the 3m dish.....?

Very sure. Believe it or not, this guy's testing these dishes at the request of the BBC here in Rome so as they are able to get 2D, but has had no success with any dishes up to 3M. Will let you know if I hear any more.

Athoni

amdlewis999

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
2 questions for the ROME people.

1) Any news on dish size for 2D?

2) Can you still get the bbc channels on 2A?
I tried all the hacks suggested but none of them work as i always get "no signal found" when adding channels. I've got a cambridge LNB and panny 30 digibox with 1.3m dish.

Andy

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Try it now, things started happening elsewhere at about 11am this morning

enschede

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Antoni..

It looks like the power from the tronsponder astra 2d has been turned up and people who has lost the bbc channels are getting them back....
Just maybe that could mean that the dish size for Rome may have reduced considerable...
The power on the astra2d transponder went up around the 1st June.

There is a report from a guy right down in Cyprus that can now get all astra 2D channels with a 2.7m dish.

So that mean we could still get it with maybe a 2.4m dish which would be acceptable for my balcony.

What do you think......?

barney

Reaction score
Hi,
i have talk with my techincal friends in Rome.
They have tested a Channel Master 180 offset, with 8 lnb.
No signal.
Bye

expat2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
now and then in Italy
A 3mt dish in Roma should be OK, Unfortunalety my garden is cover by the house, otherwise I would have already the dish on.
What a mess BBC made for all Expats, the lucky one are in France
80cm is OK
G

O

Old Fred

Apparently the choice of LNB is critical and I read that Salvador Ferrairo had done tests on lots of LNBs and the Manhattan MTI 0.6dB are the best for Astra 2D. Apparently it's to do with them being an older design and having lots of gain at the lowest frequencies. You could try a Google search for "Manhattan MTI 0.6dB LNB".

Northern Italy, down as far as Parma: 90cm Dish ( 1m) best
Central Italy down as far as Rome: 1.2m Dish ( 1.5m) best
Southern Italy, down as far as R / Calabria: 1.8m (2m) best

I'd guess that a 2m dish with this LNB will work OK in Rome with the right Digibox. The ones that work are:

Panasonic TU-DSB20, TU-DSB30
Pace BSKYB2600 and Pace minibox "Javelin".

You might just manage it with a 1.8m but the alignment and LNB skew are critical and you *must* set them for the lowest Astra 2D frequencies. Don't just look at the default transponder results.

Fred

expat2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
now and then in Italy
quote:
Northern Italy, down as far as Parma: 90cm Dish ( 1m) best
Central Italy down as far as Rome: 1.2m Dish ( 1.5m) best
Southern Italy, down as far as R / Calabria: 1.8m (2m) best

Oldfred

I wish you were right, I have 1.20Echostar a Panasonic30, Manhattan 0.6 but no sight of BBC, I trayed 1.50 nil eather, someone say I must have a 2.80 Echostar prime focus.
What make me upset is that BBC choosed Astra2D because the footprint covers just UK, in France and the part of Italy near the France boarder for let's say 200 Km 1.20 it's OK.
What a mess BBC made!!!, I just wait what's the package of SKY Italia starting in September and then I cancel bSKYb subscrition

amdlewis999

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
expat2,

do you manage to get bbc via 2a using the various hacks that have been quoted in the newsgroups.

i've tried with no success.

Andy

anthonyr

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Afraid you have missed your chance - BBC was only on 2A for a couple of weeks and now is now more for we Romans.

Aparently they are going to restore Radios 2 & 4 to 2A at some stage in the near future

I have a 1.5 mtr dish and no BBC. I would change the lmb but there seems to be conflicting information on the posting

When someone (actually in Rome) really gets it to work let me know and I will invest!

expat2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
now and then in Italy
expat2,

do you manage to get bbc via 2a using the various hacks that have been quoted in the newsgroups.

i've tried with no success.

Andy

I have tryed too with no luck
G

O

Old Fred

Originally posted by expat2
Oldfred

I wish you were right, I have 1.20Echostar a Panasonic30, Manhattan 0.6 but no sight of BBC, I trayed 1.50 nil eather, someone say I must have a 2.80 Echostar prime focus.
Well, I did say my guess was *2m* not 1.2m !

Fred