roof

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
is it possible to get any sats in london through the roof from the loft?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Probably not.
Roof tiles are quite good at microwave absorption. You will get something through a single plate glass window, or 'some' double glazing but not all.
Very doubtful through an attic though.

L.:)

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
ok thanks, it's just i have trees at the back of my house which stops me doing it outside and the roof is the highest place in the house, the sky dish is on the roof, lol o well, maybe when i get my own house (only 15)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I believe that transparent polycarbonate sheeting is fairly good at letting the sat transmissions through.

If you have a glass window in the roof you could look to replace the glass with polycarbonate.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I've just been 'round my brother-in-laws trying to set up one of those Lidl Porty dishes. The reception (reading the Fortec Lifetime signal meter) in their conservatory was as good as the reception outside.

The signal had to be coming through the ceiling/roof rather than the side windows as they don't have side windows facing 13/19/28 east. Not sure what the ceiling/roof is made of, but I presume plastic.

J

Jeff_19341

Sat signals through twinwall UPVC conservatory roofs, no problem at all. Dry snow on the roof will have a minimal effect. Wet snow might cause the signal to drop out, depending upon the depth of the snow, size of dish and sensitivity of the receiver.