mike joseph

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Setting up FTA/FTV for holiday home in France
My Location
Wales
:(
Apologies for basic queries here, but any help would be gratefully received

Tried setting up (Fortec Star Lifetime Classic receiver, 90 cm dish, Universal LNB - all supplied in a kit from Maplin UK) for Astra 2D in SW France ( near Parentis : 44' N 1.1 'W )
With 144' azimuth , 33' elevatioh and approx 20 LNB skew, I could get Astra 2ABD, and the receiver downloaded lots of exotic channels - Arabic TV, eastern Europe stuff, Italian, Spanish, and lots of 'GOD' TV. Only English language stuff was Euronews, BBC World, and some music video stations.

Interestingly ( to me) I watched the receiver scan the reams of channels, both radio and TV, and couldn't see any BBC/Other English FTA channels stuff in the lists of channels that were not downloaded.....

Main questions are :

1. Is this a typical novice result. in that I do know enough about the different frequencies to set up the essential manua scan to get BBC Tv and radio ?
2. Having locked onto some part (!) of the Astra satellite, do this mean that it is the absence of fien tuning and adjustment that is preventing me from getting BBC and other English language stuff ?
3. Could it be that the receiver is too basic and unable to pick up the required channels ?
4. Do I need to key in the exactly frequency details for each channel, then search for a quality signal..?
5. I am correct in assuming that the channels are FTA (ie OK for my Fortec box to find ) and not FTV....?

Thanks for any feedback

Rookie Mike :(

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
You have got Astra 1 by mistake. Move the dish to the east by a few degrees and point it slightly lower. Then try another channel scan.

mike joseph

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wales
Dear Snap

Many thanks for information - could I press you re :

Receiver showed Astra 2ABD on screen channel list, and on separate satellite list.... do this make sense if it was Astra 1 as you think ?

Also I would like to get it right next time I visit - in your opinion, would you feel safe withthe Fortec Box, or instead go for one of the syatems that experienced users seem to have ,on these forums ( Pace, Grundig,
Panasonic ) ?

Thanks again for your input

Mike

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The receiver will show the transponder list of which ever satellite you select. Try changing it to Astra 19.2 and then scan again.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
rolfw said:
Try changing it to Astra 19.2 and then scan again....
Mike, please ignore the above advice, you need to set the satellite being scanned to Astra 2 at 28.8 degrees.
I think what may have happened is that the box thinks it is seeing Astra 2 but the dish is pointing at Astra 1 at 19 degrees. There are frequencies common to both satellites.
If you have received BBC World your dish is most surely pointing at Astra 1 as this channel is not on Astra 2.
As for the receiver, I've found the basic free to air receivers to be pretty poor for fringe reception. They are not as sensitive as a Sky box such as Pace.
You can get a secondhand Sky box on ebay for about £40. I'd recommend a Pace ds430n or 2600 CI.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, that wasn't advice on how to find Astra 2 at 28.2, it was pointing out how to use the receiver and importantly establish where he is pointing at present. :-doh! :-lmao

mike joseph

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wales
Thanks Snap and RolfW - appreciate the tips.
:-doh2
Sounds like I need to :
1. Move to the real 28.8' position, not my 20' one !
2. Bring out a more predictable box for my next attempt !

regards
Mike B

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Nothing wrong with the receiver, you just need to make sure that when you are searching for Astra 28.2, you use a transponder which is not common to Astra 28.2 and Astra 19.2. http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html will give you the Astra 28.2 transponders. sometimes the transponder lists are not complete and you may need to add one. :)

If you haven't already got a small satellite meter, it may be a good aquisition. :)