Rooney to miss England qualifiers

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
From the BBC News Desk

England and Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney suffers a hairline fracture of his left foot against Reading.

Rooney was injured in Sunday's goalless Premier League opener with Reading.

United have put no timescale on the injury but early estimates suggest he faces at least six to eight weeks out.

Rooney, 21, missed three months after a foot injury in 2004 and a similar lay-off would rule him out of England's five remaining Euro 2008 qualifiers.

It's devastating for England and Steve McClaren, if he is going to be out for that amount of time
Former England striker Alan Shearer
Rooney was injured when Reading defender Michael Duberry accidentally stood on his foot towards the end of the first half of Sunday's match.

More...

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
It's the boots ...... what else?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I agree, was watching a programme a few months back, where a footballer was saying that with the new boots, it was like playing in slippers.

Too many foot injuries now for it to be in any doubt.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Unless things change dramatically, England are officially f@$£ed!

Rooney - injured, probably out for entirity of qualification
Owen - injured forever apparently
Bent - 3rd choice at Spurs
Defoe - 4th choice at Spurs
Crouch - didn't even get in the squad for the Villa game

It seems to me Smith and Johnson are now the two most well equiped players who will be playing regularly! And expecting Ashton and Nugent to save us is unfair, a single cap (and goal) between them.

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
From the BBC News Desk

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney is ruled out for two months after fracturing a foot and will miss England's Euro 2008 qualifiers in September.

More...

cologne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 500s
SamsungP-CI/Viaccess embedded
Irdeto CAM
SA D 9835/Powervu
My Location
Deutschland/Großbritannien
Hehe we beat you today!!!!without any proper players!!no offence but the english team is just too hyped.they are a fine team along the lines of sweden,portugal etc.europa's premier teams are france, ger, spanien,italien etc:-doh2(only joking lol)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, certainly wasn't our finest display, although I think on balance we probably played better than the result would indicate.

It'll be interesting to see whether we can pull a couple of decent performances out of the bag for the next two matches and qualify. :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Same old story for England - the good, the bad, and the plain ugly.

Wright-Philips on the left? Barry holding midfielder? Beckham for 90 minutes? McClaren doesn't have a clue, and so blatently wants to keep Beckham as an emergency scapegoat if it all goes wrong in the winter.

I think us England fans will have to hope that the team somehow muddle their way through to qualification and the FA, in a moment of divine inspiration, sack McClown and employ someone with tactical knowledge - Lippi? Klinsmann? Capello? Mourinho?(!) Certainly, any of these men could convert our squad of individuals into a team, unlike the incumbent.

As for Germany, well done to the nationalmannschaft, joint favourites with Italy for Euro 2008 in my opinion.