Ross HD DVB-S2 1201

Joe Black

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ross HDR-6110USB/HD DVB-S2 1201, TBS QBox2 Receivers, Icecrypt DM101 motor (2100A clone), 65cm dish
My Location
nr Glasgow
PSU is the same - Model 1200100G1BA (as viewed through magnifier!). The receiver's maximum power rating of 11W @ 12V doesn't leave much margin. Certainly, it won't provide enough power for a USB hard drive. My motor cable is about 15-20m. I disturbed the fly-lead while testing and the LEDs started flashing to indicate the fault.

Tech support suggested using GOTO to escape from the favourites lock, as this would take me "back to the preinstalled channel data", but that loses the sort order.

arthurcalland

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ross HD-DVB-S2 1201
Compaq dual core laptop
My Location
Cumbria
Hi folks, hope I am in the right place for this question.

I have two 'Ross HD DVB-S2 1201' boxes and they both dump the 'saved' channel list, after a few minutes, and I have to re-install it from a USB stick. It is also prone to reverting to an old channel list (different ones sometimes) when I try to move or delete channels. The Ross help desk said that it is a known issue, but could not suggest a solution. Has anybody had this problem and solved it?

If anybody can shed light on this issue, it would be a great help, and much appreciated.

paul64

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ross hd digital receiver HD DVB-S2 1201
My Location
nottingham
hi all, I am a complete newbie with all this. I just bought a Ross HD DVB-S2 1201 and have spent the day installing it. Trouble is now I have powered it up I am getting the message 'No Signal' I have tried re-aligning the dish etc and remaking the cable connections, still nothing

Can anyone please suggest what I can do. This is the first time I have tried anything like this so no sure where I am going wrong.

Thanks for any help advice.

Paul

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
Still using the Ross 1201, mainly for the contiguous ntfs files. Got a few spare boxes from B & Q sales inc. a couple of dishes but only 1 extra remote! Some boxes are more flakey than others, going into odd picture cycling modes and losing tuning info. Had a problem recently having filled a 2Gb Seagate ext desktop drive, I found other identical looking drives not co-operating. Bought a 2Gb sata ii drive and used a dock I already have and all was well. Bought a second identical drive and a housing, put the Ist drive in the housing, all ok, put the 2nd drive in, no go! WTF. After much head scratching an experiments, turns out it's MBR vs GPT that was the problem all along. Evidently the later Seagate external drives were already formatted GPT but earlier drives were MBR. I'd inadvertently formatted the 2nd new drive as GPT, once reformatted as MBR all was well.

The free version of EaseUS Partition Master will do GPT-to-MBR without loss of files. For similar MBR-to-GPT you need the Pro version.

I have a couple of mobile 2Gb Seagate drives which were iffy, working with some kit but not others. Seems the GPT format was the problem too. Even more worrying, a less than 12 months old LG 4K TV needs MBR format, and I suspect this maybe for more LG recent model TVs.

The 1201 also records 4k .ts files but the 4k stations show up in the 'radio' list, not the TV. The 1201 will only play back the audio, but most 4k TVs will play the files. I use a Venztech K1+ 'Kodi' box with my Sony X85B TV which, in typical (old) Sony fashion, won't play the 4k .ts files natively.

The 1201 will drive a DiSEqc motor but only with a 2A PSU, not the supplied 1.5A PSU (or at least not my motor, YMMV).

Some of the recent Proms were broadcast in 5.1 'surround' audio, but it was mpeg surround so not directly decoded, but most AV receivers transcode to Dolby Digital surround. The mpeg 5.1 sound flag was present on a TV when there was no 5.1 present, but when the 5.1 started the AV receiver auto switched to Dolby Digital.

Last edited:

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
The free version of EaseUS Partition Master will do GPT-to-MBR without loss of files. For similar MBR-to-GPT you need the Pro version.

Seems like this limitation is for *system* disks only and the free version *will* do MBR-to-GPT without file loss. Will try it with a 'stunt' disk. Currently backing up and verifying all the disks I've GPT>MBR, which takes time on 2Gb, so not keen to re-convert any of those, yet! BTW GPT is necessary for >2TB, where MBR maxes out and there's a 4 partition limit. Interestingly the converted GPT>MBR disks show a tiny 15Mb 5th 'ghost' partiton, which isn't accessible, unless one of the other partitions is converted to 'logical'.

Last edited: