rotator

G

greekfreak

Hi

Radio amateurs are using rotators for Yagi antennas in order to get
satellites and they are controlling the rotator
with software like Nova for windows. I want to ask
if I can find in the market rotators for TV-Sat dish?
I suppose that with a system like this will be much easier
to get the arc, otherwise please tell me which is the best motor
and positioner

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are various motors available and designed specifically for satellite, one of the most popular types is called a DiseqC motor, which involves using only the LNB cable which loops through the motor and controls it by pulses, these are most commonly used for dishes up to 1.2 metres in size and most modern receivers can be used to control them.

The other major type involves separate power cables from either a suitable receiver, or separate control unit and is better for larger dish sizes. The majority of beginners tend to favour the DiseqC route.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
a radio antenna is rotated in a circular arc; but the satellites lie on an arc that is not perfectly circular in section (at least, not seen from the Earth, unless you happen to live exactly on the equator). Positioners for satellite dishes take account of this; presumably the software driving radio antennas does not.

2old

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Rotaotrs of this type also need their own dedicated positioner box and a three wire null position system. They are not really accurate for use on satellites and as 2Old has said they will not track the orbital geostatiary arc

Better to get a DiSEqC unit first off and a receiver (if the dish is bigger than 1m then use a conventional potisioner and polarmount)