Rotor won't move after driving itself to max west

ilpresident

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020, Stab HH120, Multiboot - OoZoon, Enigma 2 PCD 9, Nemesis
My Location
Malta
Hi,

I've had a STAB HH120 for almost 14 years but have not used it these last 4/5 years. I used to drive it via a Dreambox 9020S and when that stopped working I switched to cable and sort of forgot about satellite. Now, I've just bought a Vu+ Solo4K and after connecting it to the system I successfully did a multi-sat scan to check things. I then changed the Vu+ firmware to BlackHole and added a satellite list and stations using the trusty DreamboxEdit.

After that, the dish drove to West and since I had not yet added soft-limits, it turned towards the wall. My West limit is 22W. When I tried to send the dish to zero, drive it East etc, it wouldn't move. I also tried Stab's MP02 but this still did not work. I removed the rotor from the roof and connected it with a half-metre coax cable directly with the receiver indoors. The rotor started turning all the way to West and when it reached around 60W which is the mechanical limit, it stopped. I used an old USALS receiver from a friend to try and move it back to zero and it did move but when I reconnected it to my Vu+ it again started turning towards West, so I disconnected it.

I tried re-connecting it and even if I tried to send it East, it still went West until it reached the maximum again and would not move. I also have another (silly) problem as I cannot unscrew one of the rotor's screws to try and dismantle it.

Any ideas what could be the problem would be greatly appreciated.

focus36

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 raven, superjack actuator, zgemma H2S for now
My Location
Isle of Lewis
Just had the same problem with my superjack actuator, found the motor was soaking inside (not been sealed from new by the looks ) the spring had rotted away holding the bushes replaced the springs good clean out worked ok for a few days, them one of the magnets came away from the motor housing because of all the damp in there, jb weld sorted that out, sealed it with gasket seal been good so far, just thought i would share that with ya ;)

Cheers

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The stab rotors are, by design better sealed than a linear actuator (at least I hope they are).

There are other threads on the forum with similar issues (search for TJExcalibur and / or Stab rotor. ) I had some messages with a 'dealer' that mentioned incompatibilty with certain receivers using DiSEqC last year, which was disproven by their own supply to the domestic market.

The main issue is the Stab Italia company themselves, failing to work constructively with issues on their equipment and the function in the field.

Good luck

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I have written off 2 DiSEqC motors in the last 15 years one was a Stab & the other was a ???? Italian made,
Both motors tried to move passed the set position in DiSEqC 1.2 when unsupervised :-dohI took them apart but was unable to get them working again,

Today I use DiSEqC 1.3 USALS as I use several receivers on the same motor,

I have 4 motors ATM 2 Stab currently in use & 2 Dark Motors in storage.