My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi

Can I use a router as an ethernet wireless bridge between the dreambox and a PC with a 802.11g card fitted ?

i.e. Link the dreambox with an ethernet cross-over cable to the router to stream video wirelessly to the PC ?

I'd like to do this with a router because there's loads of them on ebay and I can add a modem later.

Cheers again for you help.

mhku

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Why would you need a crossover cable? I connect my DB to my router using a "regular" CAT5 cable. The DB needs to speak to your PC rather than the Internet (I find updating keys manually more reliable).

S

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
whatsthis said:
Hi

Can I use a router as an ethernet wireless bridge between the dreambox and a PC with a 802.11g card fitted ?

i.e. Link the dreambox with an ethernet cross-over cable to the router to stream video wirelessly to the PC ?

I'd like to do this with a router because there's loads of them on ebay and I can add a modem later.

Cheers again for you help.
Some more advanced images have a wifi USB driver available as an addon so you can get away with a USB wifi card in ad-hoc config.
If the wifi router that you want to use has a hub not switch inside you need a crossover cable, only switches are able to autodetect snd&rcv cable pairs correctly.

erosennin

erosennin

My Satellite Setup
Solar System, currently on planet earth.
My Location
The other side
skydreamer said:
If the wifi router that you want to use has a hub not switch inside you need a crossover cable, only switches are able to autodetect snd&rcv cable pairs correctly.
Huh?
I have an old IBM HUB that has a port with a little switch beside it which can be configured to be used with a crossover cable or a straight through cable.

Anyways, MHKU uses the configuration asked by whatsthis

S

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
erosennin said:
Huh?
I have an old IBM HUB that has a port with a little switch beside it which can be configured to be used with a crossover cable or a straight through cable.

Anyways, MHKU uses the configuration asked by whatsthis
Your observation is right.
But you would not see this switch on cheaper hubs and definitely I have not seen one on a wifi router so far. Saying that I do not believe that wifi routers use anything else than switches internally since most of them were made either with only one Ethernet port or 4 port switch, I have to come accross one with a hub inside yet.

W

whatsthis

My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Thanks MHKU you've helped me out again. It looks like I can use a router, bridge or game adapter to do this so I have a good choice to search ebay with.

mhku

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Your choices are (with a wireless router):

1. put a wifi card in your DB (if the image supports it).
2. Put a wireless card in your laptop and connect your DB to the laptop with a crossover cable.
3. Connect your DB with a CAT 5 cable to your router (non-wireless).

If you go wireless go for a Netgear WGT624, you can get them for £30 on Ebay and they support Super G (108Mbps). If you pay by Paypal you can get money off at the link below (I saved £5 on a mini-pci card for my laptop).

I connect to my (non-wireless) router with a CAt5 cable. WHen I go wireless I'll connect the DB to my laptop (with wifi) with a crossover cable (when needed).

Ask any more questioons before you spend your cash! ;)

HTH

paypal discount link:

_ttp://www.hotukdeals.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t8659.phtml