My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi

Can I use a router as an ethernet wireless bridge between the dreambox and a PC with a 802.11g card fitted ?

i.e. Link the dreambox with an ethernet cross-over cable to the router to stream video wirelessly to the PC ?

I'd like to do this with a router because there's loads of them on ebay and I can add a modem later.

Cheers again for you help.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Why would you need a crossover cable? I connect my DB to my router using a "regular" CAT5 cable. The DB needs to speak to your PC rather than the Internet (I find updating keys manually more reliable).

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
whatsthis said:
Hi

Can I use a router as an ethernet wireless bridge between the dreambox and a PC with a 802.11g card fitted ?

i.e. Link the dreambox with an ethernet cross-over cable to the router to stream video wirelessly to the PC ?

I'd like to do this with a router because there's loads of them on ebay and I can add a modem later.

Cheers again for you help.

Some more advanced images have a wifi USB driver available as an addon so you can get away with a USB wifi card in ad-hoc config.
If the wifi router that you want to use has a hub not switch inside you need a crossover cable, only switches are able to autodetect snd&rcv cable pairs correctly.

erosennin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Solar System, currently on planet earth.
My Location
The other side
skydreamer said:
If the wifi router that you want to use has a hub not switch inside you need a crossover cable, only switches are able to autodetect snd&rcv cable pairs correctly.

Huh?
I have an old IBM HUB that has a port with a little switch beside it which can be configured to be used with a crossover cable or a straight through cable.

Anyways, MHKU uses the configuration asked by whatsthis

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
erosennin said:
Huh?
I have an old IBM HUB that has a port with a little switch beside it which can be configured to be used with a crossover cable or a straight through cable.

Anyways, MHKU uses the configuration asked by whatsthis

Your observation is right.
But you would not see this switch on cheaper hubs and definitely I have not seen one on a wifi router so far. Saying that I do not believe that wifi routers use anything else than switches internally since most of them were made either with only one Ethernet port or 4 port switch, I have to come accross one with a hub inside yet.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Thanks MHKU you've helped me out again. It looks like I can use a router, bridge or game adapter to do this so I have a good choice to search ebay with.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Your choices are (with a wireless router):

1. put a wifi card in your DB (if the image supports it).
2. Put a wireless card in your laptop and connect your DB to the laptop with a crossover cable.
3. Connect your DB with a CAT 5 cable to your router (non-wireless).

If you go wireless go for a Netgear WGT624, you can get them for £30 on Ebay and they support Super G (108Mbps). If you pay by Paypal you can get money off at the link below (I saved £5 on a mini-pci card for my laptop).

I connect to my (non-wireless) router with a CAt5 cable. WHen I go wireless I'll connect the DB to my laptop (with wifi) with a crossover cable (when needed).

Ask any more questioons before you spend your cash! ;)

HTH

paypal discount link:

_ttp://www.hotukdeals.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t8659.phtml