router

kly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2mdish 45eto58w 2600echostar matrix reloaded tit card and fun card
My Location
uk
can u use just awireles lap top with a dream box in stead of conecting to a router

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
I assume you already have a router to connect your laptop to the Internet, so it seems to me the obvious thing to do is to connect the Dreambox (which doesn't have wireless output) to the router.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to do that? It's how I do it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Whichever way the laptop connects to the internet, you just need to set up internet connection sharing on the laptop, then connect the Dreambox to the laptop.

There are also ways of using a wireless bridge on your Dreambox to connect to a wireless router, there is information in the Idiots Guide. :)

kly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
i have the router conected to the desk top up stares in the spare bed room and i have a wirless laptop down stares what im saying what is the best way of conecting the dream box to the inter net with the lap top or a lot of cable to the router up stares

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
My Dreambox is connected to the router with CAT5 cable. I FTP to it with my wireless laptop. There is no "best" way - whatever is easiest for you.

kly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
yes i get what u are saying iget a signel down stares on the lap top so is it beter to conect the dream box to the lap top or the main desktop up stares

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Can't you connect it to your router?

Otherwise you can (I think) connect your Dreambox to your laptop using a crossover cable. If you've got a crossover cable try it.

kly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
no i havent got a cross over cable do u conect the dream box to the laptop just like u would to the router

A

Anonymous-A

Nope, the only way you can connect the Dreambox to your PC's network port is via a crossover network cable (not a standard CAT5 network cable).

It is quite easy to connect your Dreambox using a standard CAT5 network cable to your wireless router if you have one. Most wireless routers have network ports that can be connected up.