RTÉ in Ka band @ 9E, what purpose?

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
What is idea of that package on that sat?

I checked, both Ka band LNBs and receivers are damn expensive. What's going on, Saorsat going to offer some bargain LNBs and receivers?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thread moved :)

Its basically to fill in for areas of Ireland that cant get digital tv via their aerials.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
And there will have to be much cheaper Ka lnbs for the 5% or so of the population that will need them.
No need for special receivers, some people over here are already watching the test transmissions on normal HD receivers, coupled to Ka lnbs.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Are all hd receivers compatible with the KA band?

Gunes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CT HD4100
My Location
Is this the first time of broadcasting television channels in Europe via Ka band?

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
As I've seen from Ka band LNB specifications, LOF is quite different from Ku or C band receivers. Do you mean that there are Ka band LNB's that have same intermediate freq. as conventional LNBs?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The reason for Ka to the consumer will become apparent once full time broadcasting is available, but in a nutshell

1) The increased amount of data that can be transmitted at Ka band means more content for the same bandwidth

2) A correctly installed Ka band LNB should be less susceptible to ground and extraterrestrial interference than Ku band kit, outweighing some of the disadvantages of the increased loss due to rain fade.

And for the operator ;

3) The satellite payload is somewhat cheaper to build and is (most likely) lighter owing to fewer components between uplink and downlink equipment, and a smaller parabolic reflector onboard for the same gain.
4)The footprint can be made much tighter than at Ku band, meaning less chance of watching outside the authorised region.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
I think as long as receivers are DVB-S2 then they will work, and @BombedOne, Ka lnbs will use the same IF as Ku.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Various Ka lnbs have LO frequencies of between 17250 and 20250 - see here _http://www.norsat.com/ka-band-lnb/blog

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
BombedOne said:
As I've seen from Ka band LNB specifications, LOF is quite different from Ku or C band receivers. Do you mean that there are Ka band LNB's that have same intermediate freq. as conventional LNBs?
Sharing the same intermediate freq. means local oscillator freq. has to be different, and vice versa. That is the current state of affairs with C-band and Ku. For example an intermediate freq. of 950MHz gives a downlink frequency of 4.2GHz (5150MHz L.O. - 950MHz) in C-band and 10.7GHz (9750 L.O. + 950MHz) in Ku band. No need to change the receiver. The only difference in the way those two work is that one is a high-side oscillator and the other is low-side, but that is a feature of the LNB, not the receiver.

dxn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Prime-focus 2,10m, 0,2 LNB Black Inverto, TBS6983 dvbcard, Octagon SF4008 4K,
Dreambox7020HD, NOS cable 200mb, Tivusat, TDTsat Spain, TDT Portugal.
My Location
Estoril - Portugal
I think if operators in the future start to broadcast tv on KA-band this will mean the end of free satelite TV as we know it because this band operate on a much thighter beam as we can see on the new KA-SAT, it have dozens of spot beams. Even on the same country have 3 or 4 diferent spotbeams.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dxn said:
I think if operators in the future start to broadcast tv on KA-band this will mean the end of free satelite TV as we know it because this band operate on a much thighter beam as we can see on the new KA-SAT, it have dozens of spot beams. Even on the same country have 3 or 4 diferent spotbeams.

I wouldnt worry about it dxn - Many of the satellites in the skies above Europe are fairly new - it will be at least 20 years until there are appreciable numbers of satellites broadcasting Ka spotbeams.