No on Ireland of course U-zzz

piggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Broadband
My Location
Scotland
benifa said:
It's very simple, I don't know why others have been so complicated about it.

All you have to do is subscribe to Sky at your UK address. Get whatever package you want, minimum, full or anything in between - it doesn't matter. Let Sky come and install a dish and box for you. Go via www.quidco.com and receive £130 for doing it.

A week after install, email them (via online webform) and tell them you've moved to Ireland, and here's my Irish address. I recommend you give your parent's address + A. For example, if they live at 21 Viewmount Drive, ask Sky to change your address to 21A Viewmount Drive. That way it won't flag that the address you give already has an active Sky subscription in someone else's name. State that you've taken your dish and box with you, and are happy to install yourself and do not require an engineer. Sky will simply convert your current UK sub into an Irish sub (charge in Euros, of course). And bingo, ROI EPG - no extra cost to you, and no hassle either. Bye bye Five, hello TG4. ;)

But when sky are installing at my UK address- will they not insist on connecting the system to a phone line? How do I avoid that?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
piggs said:
But when sky are installing at my UK address- will they not insist on connecting the system to a phone line? How do I avoid that?

I am not a legal eagle but according to the Terms and Conditions of the Sky contract a new subscription must be connected to a telephone line at all times for the 1st 12 months of the contract, but if I remember correctly there are people on this board who have ignored that rule and have got away with it.

piggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Broadband
My Location
Scotland
Topper said:
I am not a legal eagle but according to the Terms and Conditions of the Sky contract a new subscription must be connected to a telephone line at all times for the 1st 12 months of the contract, but if I remember correctly there are people on this board who have ignored that rule and have got away with it.

Well, I spoke to one of those guys at a sky stall in a local mall today, and he said a phone wasnt needed- however- I would have to pay more for the installation (~£50 cf ~£20) and that I couldnt avail of pay-per-view services (no big loss IMO)!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thats correct - its possible to pay a 25 quid waiver fee to avoid the phone requirement

(And before anyone asks this IS NOT POSSIBLE for multiroom installs - BOTH boxes have to be connected to the SAME operational phone line for the entire life of the multiroom sub....)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Topper said:

Me for one :-rofl2 Although I installed all my own kit - there was no way I was going to let a sky ladder monkey anywhere near my satellite kit!

piggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Broadband
My Location
Scotland
Thats great then! No phone line needed! Will there be any problems phoning sky up to change my address to an ROI one? ( Can use my parents' address- as it's a townland with many different spellings?) Is it true ill need to sign a new contract (there's nothing in the "moving home" part of their website to suggest so)?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Make sure its a valid address - there are rumours of a card swap later this year, and if your card gets mailed out then returned as "undeliverable" the account will be cancelled!

piggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Broadband
My Location
Scotland
Should be ok- like I said- My irish address (also my parents) can be spelt 2 different ways (its a townland in the country side). Will sky twig that it's the same place- even though the spelliing is slightly different?

benifa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ TDS470N 160gb
My Location
UK / Ireland
piggs said:
Should be ok- like I said- My irish address (also my parents) can be spelt 2 different ways (its a townland in the country side). Will sky twig that it's the same place- even though the spelliing is slightly different?

As I said piggs, just add an A to the number. Like, 12 Rivercourt becomes 12A Rivercourt. That is fine. Also, don't call Sky, email them. When you call them they try their hardest to talk you out of anything that doesn't involve them charging you. Remember, you are self installing when you "move" to Ireland - they don't like this because they won't be charging you for a House Move.

piggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Broadband
My Location
Scotland
benifa said:
As I said piggs, just add an A to the number. Like, 12 Rivercourt becomes 12A Rivercourt. That is fine. Also, don't call Sky, email them. When you call them they try their hardest to talk you out of anything that doesn't involve them charging you. Remember, you are self installing when you "move" to Ireland - they don't like this because they won't be charging you for a House Move.

I wont be able to add an A to my address- my house in Ireland has no number- the postman simply knows which family lives in which house! Has this method of changing address worked? Do you know anyone whos tried it?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
denis1501 said:
To answer the first part of your post, no, there will be no problems providing the digibox being used by your mother is not subsidised, ie you don't get it free from sky. Reason being if it's subsidised it has to be connected to an Irish phone line for 12 months.
Part 2 of your question, No, no chance of taking a multiroom box, these MUST be connected to an Irish phone line at all times.
regards
D.

They are charging the full price for second boxes not detected with phone line, instead of cutting them off. I tried the 9v battery trick and it dont fool them after so many months engaged. They are cracking down hard on this the last 12 mts.

piggs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Broadband
My Location
Scotland
denis1501 said:
Hi Ian,
There is a way to do this.
Ring Sky and tell them to send you out a contract to your Dublin address telling them that you have an 'out of contract' box already in your possession and don't require an installation.Fill out the contract and send it back.
When you get your card take note of the number and send it to your Dad in Manchester.
Tell your Dad to go into the Services menu of his digibox and write down very carefully the serial number of his box and version number. Then ring Sky from Ireland and tell them you have received your card and require it to be activated. Make sure your Dad knows what time you're ringing Sky so that the card is in the digibox and ready to receive the over the air activation.
The Sky representative will take the box and card details and the card will be activated!
Your Dad will be watching the GAA in no time!
regards
D.

Does anyone know- can this still be done now?

benignb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cable but Fortec Star dish and Technomate receiver
My Location
Cambridge
piggs said:
Hi, Just inquiring if you managed to successfully get RTE via the sky route described by benifa?

signman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
p4, dual 3ghz, 2gb,
My Location
ireland
I don't know if this helps but try manually installing the irish channels on your sky box

10744 H 5/6

:)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
signman said:
I don't know if this helps but try manually installing the irish channels on your sky box
Won't work unfortunately as the chnnels are encrypted and are not viewable without a valid up-to-date Irish $ly cubscription card.

With the card there will be no need to go into the "add channels" as they will appear in the EPG.

obried26

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky Digibox
My Location
London, UK (formerly IRL)
denis1501 said:
Hi Ian,
There is a way to do this.
Ring Sky and tell them to send you out a contract to your Dublin address telling them that you have an 'out of contract' box already in your possession and don't require an installation.Fill out the contract and send it back.
When you get your card take note of the number and send it to your Dad in Manchester.
Tell your Dad to go into the Services menu of his digibox and write down very carefully the serial number of his box and version number. Then ring Sky from Ireland and tell them you have received your card and require it to be activated. Make sure your Dad knows what time you're ringing Sky so that the card is in the digibox and ready to receive the over the air activation.
The Sky representative will take the box and card details and the card will be activated!
Your Dad will be watching the GAA in no time!
regards
D.

To repeat pigg's question, can this still be done? It sounds like the most accurate way to get RTE in the UK. Thanks guys! :)

benifa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ TDS470N 160gb
My Location
UK / Ireland
obried26 said:
To repeat pigg's question, can this still be done? It sounds like the most accurate way to get RTE in the UK. Thanks guys! :)
Yes it can.